Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:01:40 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: so, I replaced the rear seat lap belts
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>
Comments: cc: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

David, Thanks. I followed your advice, cleaning the bolts and bores with brake cleaner, and putting antisieze lubricant on the bolts. The bolts then turned in properly, though they required inordinate force. I was unable to do it until I cleaned and lubricated them. My torque wrench (cheapy) I abandoned, because I did not want to break it, and it would not turn the screws at 60 ft. lbs (GoWesty recommends 35-45 in their instructions). However, the screws clearly were turning properly to that point. I just took a regular socket wrench (which I also feared I might break, but it didn't show any stress) and kept the pressure on. The screws turned in, and snugged up to the fitting. I did not damage anything (except my ego for not being able to do a simple job simply). I was a little leery about the screws themselves, but they never showed any sign of twisting, just turned with great difficulty.

Thanks again, David

---- David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > At 08:38 PM 6/10/2010, mcneely4@cox.net wrote: > >David, these things get tighter and tighter. They are not, to my > >knowledge, exposed to the weather. There are welded in nuts in the > >body. The ends of the screws do look a little bit like they have > >some deposit on them, but they are neither rusty nor corroded. > > It's worse because it's a big bolt (although if you imported one > you'd be paying duty on a machine screw, which is about three times > the duty on a bolt) with a fine thread, so the clearances are small. > > > I don't have a thread chaser (something a pro would have I'm sure). > > I keep a set of taps and dies in the common sizes for Vanagon bolts, > and routinely "chase" fasteners I'm re-using. But that particular > one is not a common size at all. > > > Maybe I should just see someone who does this kind of > > work. Seemed like a simple job to start with, and I was sort of > > proud that I was able to fit the driver's side belt in, with the > > cuts in the cabinet and so on. And the belts seem to fit nicely > > and work well. But, I don't want to have my grandson buckled in > > with his child seat, and a bolt fails to hold when it is critical. > > Yeah. That's a bit of a head-scratcher, because the average > low-to-middle grade mechanic is liable to use the bigger hammer > approach. Those bolts should thread in pretty smooth, and they're > only torqued to 30 lb-ft, which it sounds like you're getting beyond > without even taking out the slack. My personal suggestion would be > to pull them out, get a magnifying glass and your thinking cap, and > study the situation. I'll help however I can, subject to the limit > that I'm pretty sick right now and definitely not up to crawling > underneath things. Some brake cleaner vigorously sprayed down the > sides of the hole and on the bolt may well help. Scrubbing both with > a toothbrush while you spray may help more -- go round and round, not > up and down. With brake cleaner you get your choice of poison: you > can have non-flammable, which is an anesthetic, or you can have > non-chlorinated, which is extremely flammable. Don't be shocked if > your toothbrush suddenly falls into twenty pieces -- it's called > solvent-induced stress cracking. > > If you can get them to thread in ok, a bit of antiseize compound on > the threads will help keep them that way. Permatex Never-Seez is one brand. > > Yours, > David >

-- David McNeely