Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:12:13 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Big tools for your big nuts; now Vanagon Tools Rant
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

There were 2 prong tools back then and not all of them can be converted to 3 prong and run on a GFI circuit.

I own 1950s era a roll around 50 amp battery charger that originally had a 2 prong plug. I thought I'd be smart and rewire it with a 3 prong cable & plug then I discovered that it pops my outside GFI every time I hook up a battery and turn it on. It's a honest 50 amp charger that will source 50 amps continuously, not like the cheap 50 amp chargers you buy today that will cycle 50 amps on & off.

The unit never shocked me in all the years I've owned it and I believe it's safe. I believe there must be a low current path somewhere that trips the GFI.

So, I still have the 3 prong plug installed - I just plug the charger into another circuit that's not GFI protected.

Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com