Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:38:53 -0400
From:         "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oxymoron Alert: AC While Camping
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Mark: I'ts just opinions and friendly discussions, Mark. Everybody does things like camping a little differently and it's fun to voice your opinion and see how others do it - not passing judgement on anyone.

On 6/9/10, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > Why do so many here seem to think that how they live and do things is > the only ideal and anything different is verging on evil? > > The "majority of humanity" does without a lot of things you have, is > that really the standard you wish applied to yourself or only to those > you deem your lessers at camp? > > Camping in a Vanagon of any sort is far above where I and many others > started out. A knapsack and blanket was all I needed 40 years ago when I > was 16. I later moved on in stages to bike camping, motorcycle camping, > car camping, and now van camping. At what point did I go wrong? How do I > reverse the effects of aging so I can sleep on the bare ground again? > > I have seen people be happy with almost nothing at camp, as well as > others that were content with far more than I would even want. The point > is to go places and do things with a smile in your heart. Build a wall > of smug superiority around your heart instead if you must but please > leave it off the Vanagon list as we are a diverse bunch with varying > ways of doing things, evolving at our own pace. > > Mark > > Don Hanson wrote: >> Yeah, "camping" in a Westie....that's really what is called >> "car-camping" >> . When you pull your vehicle right up to a picnic table and live out of >> it...that is "car camping". >> >> If you spend most of your time inside, in your air conditioning, I'd say >> you aren't camping anymore, you are "RV-ing" I'd be really put off if >> some >> Westie spied us in a formal campground and "camped" next door (because we >> are Vanagon folks, too) and then they fired up a generator to run their >> air >> conditioner and watch videos and run the microwave...etc etc. >> >> I don't really get the point of driving to some semi-remote "campsite" >> only to spend the whole time "indoors"...especially indoors in a >> Vanagon..You may as well stay home indoors or bring a "real" RV, one with >> a >> couple of pop-out rooms and some TVs and stuff.. >> >> Doesn't the majority of humanity do ok without AC? >> >> Don Hanson >> >> >> >

-- Sent from my mobile device

Pete '79 Westy "Aardvark" '87 Westy "JoesVan" WWW.Busesbythebeach.com