Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:55:54 -0400
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: noise SOLVED. Now need to Heli-Coil?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I feel pretty confident with 3 bolts for now. I figure, if a rattle comes back, I'll know right away I have trouble.

But I think I'm going to try the helicoil repair this weekend. I don't want to run 3 bolts long term. Is the insert really that hard to install? I figure, after I drill and tap, that the insert must be pretty easy to get in. And, where I'm' doing it, I'll have easy access. Not like doing this in an engine compartment.

I ordered one of these kits: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SREP4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER and a correctly sized drill bits. We'll see how it goes....

I was thinking of trying to get a nut up above... but I'm going to give the helicoil a shot first. That seems like the "right way" to do this...