Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:27:52 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: More Clutch - felt washer?
Comments: To: kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM

the pilot bearing clutch dust seal fits in the engine side of the flywheel, and there should be a small metal ring in the center of the flywheel to hold that dust seal there.

I lube my felt seals with engine oil btw....I don't think they should be put in dry. there is some rotation there, relatively speaking.

the metal rings are often missing. there is a way to use a diesel vanagon pilot bearing with a built in rubber lip type seal, and a small mod to the flywheel is needed to do that.

No amount of burning out, or rocking back and forth or spinning wheels should have any affect on the pilot bearing. Disc and flywheel yes, but not on the pilot brg.

now holding down the clutch and giving her 4,000 rpm with van in gear but not moving ... yes, that will indeed spin the pilot bearing rollers like crazy.

I hope people know the clutch pedal should never be held in for long periods or at high rpm for more than necessary. If you want things to last that is. Like sitting at a red light ...clutch should not be held down. starting the engine ...same thing. Start in neutral cutch pedal up. Only exception to that is very very cold temps, like zero degrees F ..then you might start it with the clutch pedal held down so the starter doesn't have to fight the thick gear oil in the trans. otherwise, always start in neutral clutch pedal up.

basically, clutch pedal should go down, then up. It's not good for it to hold the clutch pedal down for very long. My clutches last indefinitely. the biggest enemy or weakness is clutch dust in the pilot bearing. I see pilot bearing rollers wasted all the time ...normal even. Most of the time the felt seal got left out, and often the metal ring to retain it is long gone. And it's not a part you can buy new.

and really careful detailed workmanship ...if ever there was a place where you want that, it's putting the clutch together.

Do good work !

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kurt Grotz" <kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:38 AM Subject: More Clutch - felt washer?