Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:54:18 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: westy interior install, was Re: westy kitchen mod question
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

Keep in mind the differences between a passanger van and a westfalia in terms of the roof. The westfalia roof is flat and sits about an inch lower in the center, while a passanger van roof is curved. (And a sunroof van roof is 1.1'' lower throughout on the interior!). As such, the overhead cabinet designed for the flat roof of the westfalia does not fit on the curved roof of the passanger van. The rear corner cabinet (WARDROBE) is also too tall, specifically on the corner along the outside edge and will need to be cut down.

The rear seatbelts are held in by finely threaded and wildly large machine screws, which often require strange amounts of force even if not coroded or cross threaded.... There should be welded in nuts on all vans (as the passanger vans used the same holes.....) The westfalia bed however will require some additional holes that go over the flat section of the rear but infront of the engine bay. Those are not there on passanger vans and will need to be drilled. One comes out above the transmission and the other in the wheel well. These make for some tricky installations often requiring two people (or creative use of vice grips) to sufficiently grab the head and still remove the bolt. I used Long machine screws with fender washers and double nuts for this purpose. And it takes me two people/use of creative vice grips to do. (this sucks).

The welded in brackets allows one less need for two people or creative use of vice grips. I found the act of cutting and removing from the westfalia pieces that needed to be welded in to be a reassuring and important part of the installation that constantly reminds me that this is not just a hacked together bolt in job. Of course the downside to this is the only way to successfully remove the brackets is by first taking out the ENTIRE interior from the donor westy, in order to remove/harvest the wooden floor. This sucks because that way you can't easily move the interior piece by piece from one van to the next. It really sucks in that regard. But once it's ALL out of both vans and the brackets welded in, the whole swap slapps together in little to no time.

I suggest not installing any of the exterior (3) ports (water, electric, water fill). There is just no point, and they are known to leak. I did cut the hole for the dometic, and run mine on propane all the time and love it. However, when I do it again in the near future, I plan to install an electric fridge and thus avoid cutting any holes. Cut the dometic hole by first making and tripple checking your template, taping it on, and going to town with a nice scroll saw and a brand new Bosche Metal blade. You will use many of these (as well as 1/8'' drill bits!) so don't be afraid to replace them. I run my 110 electric fridge hookup to a 3 way splitter kept behind the drivers seat, and when I want to plug in at a campground, I just run an extension chord through the window. Simple. I always fill my tank via the fill port on the top, so that eliminates two holes right there! I did not wire in 110volt. I never use it except when at a campground, and then I have my 3 way splitter! In the future, I will have a single pair of 110 outlets indpendently wired into the 3 way splitter. Instead, I removed all the outlets and that annoying breaker box and replaced them with stainless steel wall socket covers. I then drilled holes in these covers and put in 12v outlets. Being as I travel a great deal, I have 12v chargers for most all my posessions, and having 12v near the sleeping area is great for charging a phone that you will bee using as an alarm clock. I also have a 12v socket and fitting gooseneck light at the top corner of the wardrobe, facing over the sleeping area. I carry with me a small inverter, which I can then plug into any one of my 12v outlets should I need 110 power. Thus, I can either use it off the starting battery while driving (via the dash) to say charge my computer while driving (As Mac STILL doesn't sell a 12v adaptor for Macbooks!!!!!), or run it off the house battery while parked. I personally love the freedom of having 12v rather than 110.

The swivel seat install particularly is handy on the passanger seat. Don't put the westfalia window in behind the kitchen, keep the passanger van one! It's 50/50 to open rather than 60/40 and allows for greater ventilation while parked. They sell window screen kits that fit it. Or better yet, put in the bay window Jelousey windows! (my next project!)

Drilling holes for the drain and propane and all that crap is best done with a series of "hole saws" that fit in your drill. Go buy nice metal ones.

I must be missing a few things off the top of my head, but that's a few good pointers to consider. I'm way to young to have this much knowledge of how to do this......

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in the back