Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:54:46 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Question about ignition timing..

I'm swapping blocks and distributors, re-configuring an inline four gas VW motor for my van. 92 digifant 1.8 liter heads onto a 94 Jetta ABA 2.0 liter block. Keeping the 1.8 head will raise my compression ratio to 10:1, I am told. The digifant EMS does not have a knock sensor provision. For now I am planning on running the new motor set-up on premium 92 octane fuel or maybe mid-range..I am daily driving at around sea level. I often go to elevation in the van... but not too often above about 6000' maybe a few times per year.

So the Bentley book calls for 6-8 degrees BTDC on the 1.8 and the 2.0 liter. They are both in the 9-9.2:1 compression ratio range.. It has been some time since I timed a vehicle. The last ones I messed with still had points ignition. I used to have to change the timing on my air cooled German cars...Beetle, Splitty Van and a 356 S-90 Porsche when I went from altitude down to sea level because they would knock or run too hot sometimes...but I have forgotten what the reasons and the direction is to adjust the timing for pre-ignition and regular vs premium fuel.

Anybody care to give a short run-down on how to adjust the timing for various conditions..like raised compression ratio, regular vs premium fuel, trading power for peace of mind about knocking motors, etc etc?

I should be OK just running premium for now, but I might like to switch to regular if the motor makes sufficient power on the cheaper fuel and doesn't want to destroy itself too quickly by pinging badly.. If I do try to 'shade' the timing towards regular gas or if I plan on heading through some high mountains, what's the drill?

Thanks in advance Don Hanson