Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:58:23 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about ignition timing..
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Thanks for the reply.

I recall now that I used to 'retard' the timing on my vehicles when I went from Jackson Hole down to Baja..

Since by the time this hits the list it will be Friday....

I never had a timing light but I was a pretty good retard...er.

So the way I timed my little air cooled VW and Porsche motors was with Zig Zag rolling papers. First, of course, I had to use them for their designed purpose and then I'd get to the timing part. You could stick a paper between the points to see when they opened. I'd set the flywheel pulley mark at the right spot and then rotate the distributor till the points were closed, insert the rolling paper and re rotate the distributor body, pulling gently on the paper. When it came loose, the timing was on.....enough. Then you'd clamp the distributor in place and turn the motor back a bit, pry the points open and stick the Zig Zag paper back in there and re-rotate the big pulley...gently pulling on the paper. If it came loose just as the little notch hit the case seam...that was TDC... My 36hp bus was especially sensitive to timing, for some reason. It would often over heat on hills if the timing wasn't carefully adjusted. When it overheated it would just seize up solid...the back wheels would lock up and I'd clutch it over to the shoulder...and get out the Zig Zags.... After it cooled and I'd used the rolling papers...It would fire up and we'd just drive on, no harm done...

Don Hanson

Snipped reply