Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:31:55 -0700
From:         Gregory Smith <gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM>
Subject:      Heater knee bar cross beam

The door beam/duct isn't the problem, it's where the mice are getting in.

In a GL, there are only two places where mice can get in (besides windows left open). One is the front fresh air intake behind the upper part of the grill. A good solution here is to cut 1/4" galvanized wire mesh to fit over the opening. Install behind the secondary plastic grill that comes factory. This will keep mice out of the entire fresh air system. Be sure to cut the mesh a little large to bend around the edges, the plastic grill there doesn't actually touch the body metal and that's where they get in. Assuming the bellows at the door hinge are in place.

The second location is the fresh air exits in the rear of the later models, the plastic things at the rear edge of the rear side windows. On my van mice had chewed the foam away, as well as perhaps some of the anti-draft flaps. To fix this I used 1/8 galvanized mesh cut into ~1" strips and screwed to the rear opening in the side vent grills.

Unless you're missing a grommet or door seal somewhere, this should keep the varmints out!

I once had a mouse die in the bottom of the c pillar, the rear side of the front door opening. It was an awful smell that took a long time to find. When I did find it (with the help of a mirror) I used a flexible grabby tool to pull out the dead mouse, and also had to remove the plug at the bottom where the early a/c drains left. It took some cleaning let me tell you. Enzymatic odor eliminator product worked well.

Gregory Smith '88 Vanagon GL

Smith Design Studio Small Building Company Olympia, WA 360-239-0429 gregoryfsmith.com