Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:02:30 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heater knee bar cross beam
Comments: To: John Reynolds <transporterjr@yahoo.com>

Those open holes are where your mice were getting in. Somebody must have removed the plugs for some reason...

The only other possibility is the battery box vents but that only lets them into the battery boxes.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:47 AM, John Reynolds <transporterjr@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I think that perhaps I will block this this beam, just pass where the > wiring enters (exits) the beam on route to, or from, the doors. (I guess > vans with manual locks and mirrors would have no wiring here) Mice and > others critters reportedly will not chew steel wool, so perhaps that is the > ticket, but I'm open to suggestions > > I am going to block off some other mouse entry points as well, I know I > can't make a van 100% mouse proof, but if I can at least try to keep them > out of the heater box. > > > Note to all - my van (non AC model) had two large (1 1/2"?) holes behind > the instrument cluster in the "firewall" If you pull the grill, look above > the driver's side headlight. I got two large tapered rubber plugs and drove > them into these holes. Next is sealing off around the edges of the plastic > inner grill (behind the main upper grill) that feeds the heater box. The > edges and around the center are open. > > Now that I've given up on making Litchfield, I'm actually starting to enjoy > doing a thorough job, taking it in small steps as I go. I had to take a > very small screw driver and dig out the crap (literally) from crevices > behind the dash while I vacumm, wearing a mask and gloves. > > John > > > > --- On Mon, 6/14/10, John Reynolds <transporterjr@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > From: John Reynolds <transporterjr@yahoo.com> > > Subject: Heater knee bar cross beam > > To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > > Date: Monday, June 14, 2010, 10:08 PM > > I'm deep into heater box re-hab > > (86 non AC van) and I'm wondering why VW has a feed to the > > vents in the bottom of the front doors? > > > > Turns out that cross beam that provides that feed from the > > heater box is a mouse condo (as was the heater box and the > > intake space behind the heater box). > > > > One side had foam blocking it off on the driver side - was > > this factory? If so, why would they do that on one > > side? If appeared to be shaped perfectly to fit inside > > this cross beam. You might be able to see it, poking > > in from the driver's side where the power mirror wiring > > enters below the dash - that is any other VW had this. > > > > I'm thinking of blocking this off permanently to reduce yet > > another point of mouse entry. I am so sick of mice! > > > > John > > > > > > > > > > > >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27