Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:36:31 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: noise SOLVED. Now need to Heli-Coil?
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

If it were mine, I would drill it out to the next larger size, which is most likely going to be an SAE size. I would paint the bolt head as a reminder that I'm gonna need a 9/16ths (or whatever) wrench on "that one". Maybe even use a magic marker and write the wrench size somewhere nearby on the mounting plate.

I can't imagine a helicoil being as strong as new threads in virgin steel, though I don't think strength is as critical as the helicoils' tendency to come out when you remove the bolts. Either way should work fine.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of |pickle vanagon |Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:02 AM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: noise SOLVED. Now need to Heli-Coil? | |This is definitely an idea... | |But there would be disadvantages, right? Less wiggle room when getting the |bolt through the hole on the mount for example. And confusion during |future |maintenance (I would definitely stick with metric for this reason). | |But, maybe a larger bolt *is* a better option? | |Am I underestimating how hard it is to put a helicoil in? Moving to a |larger bolt size would still involve drilling and tapping a hole. Isn't |this the hardest part of the helicoil job? | |I am thinking that the helicoil should be as reliable as the original |threads (maybe more so). Am I right on this? | | | | |On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@q.com> wrote: | |> What about going to thte next oversize bolt? Possibly even SAE rather |than |> metric? Might be easier and cleaner than a helicoil. |> |> Karl Wolz |> |> |-----Original Message----- |> |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf |> Of |> |pickle vanagon |> |Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:45 AM |> |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |> |Subject: Re: noise SOLVED. Now need to Heli-Coil? |> | |> |You've won a pair of convex vanagon side mirrors (for pickup only!!) in |> new |> |jersey. |> | |> | |> |But yeah, I can get a new bolt in, it just doesn't grab on. Seems to me |> |like I'm going to have to add material somehow... |> | |> | |> | |> |On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Robert Fisher |> |<garciasghostvw@gmail.com>wrote: |> | |> |> --snip-- |> |> Robert Fisher was right. |> |> --snip-- |> |> |> |> Cool; what'd I win? : ) |> |> |> |> --snip-- |> |> one of the four tranny mount bolt holes has stripped out threads. Is |a |> |> heli-coil the answer here? |> |> --snip-- |> |> |> |> You don't think there's enough left to just chase the threads with a |> tap? |> |> |> |> Cya, |> |> Robert |> |> |> |>