Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:43:09 -0600
From:         miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Whatz a Good price to service CVs?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Michael, this is an easy job, though plenty messy, but so what. A parts washer is the ticket, but not necessary. The Van-Cafe site has good instructions. Dirty job, but very satisfying.....now get on with it man!! Miguel

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > I just get free rags at the freestore ... > all those cotton t-shirt and sweat shirts.. > they're a bother to cut up into rag size pieces.. > but it's free rags for life. > > that's one tiny way I work to keep overhead costs down , and pass on the > savings to the customer. > > reminds me of a big sign on a bar in Ancharage Alaska, in 1980.....Chilcoot > Charley's .. > they had a huge sign on the top of the bar saying 'We cheat the other guy to > save you money.' > > love the irrverence of it ! > > on the grease....I like really good grease. Have used lots of Redline > synthetic wheel bearing grease. > That 'black slimey' moly graph grease though ... > I just have really really good luck with that stuff. > Wherever I use it ( I don't use it for wheel bearings though ) ...... > that part has stayed just fine for years and years. > I mainly use it on CV joints, and on lubing the  8 or so little spots in the > throw out bearing and crosshaft areas in the clutch system.  I lube shift > linagke with it too. > sure seems to stay slimey and slick.  and doesn't seem sticky like wheel > bearing grease that attracts and holds grit if exposed like on say shift > linkage. > > main thing though is 'lube it'  ! > No kidding, every last vanagon I see is despearately lacking in lube on > hundreds of little places on it, from one end to the other.  I see like 50 > vanagons a year.  So many spots on them were last lubed in Germany at the > factory.    Srpay lube is so quick and easy to use too.   Who lubes their > ash tray pivot points ? - at least those won't wear out from not lubing > them, but so many othe points will. > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jim Felder" <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 7:01 AM > Subject: Re: Whatz a Good price to service CVs? > > > To support what has been said: you will spend more on rags (if you > don't get them for free) than grease! You will need a LOT of rags and > paper towels will only make the mess worse. I use what my shop uses, > which is Amsoil purple, and it's a lot cleaner than moly grease. But a > mess none the less. One cartridge does four bearings. > > Jim > > > > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:09 AM, Bob Johnson > <b.johnson1950.2010@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> While you're at it, you might as well do the Rear Wheel bearings too! :o) >> If the CV's haven't been done in a long while, >> I'll bet the rear bearing's have Never been done! >> >> I'd say there's two ways to estimate costs: >> one is if new grease is just added; >> Double the price if all of the old grease is cleaned out first ! >> >> I'm right in the middle of the job as we speak. >> What a mess !!! >> Now if you need to add in a couple of sets of clothing, >> ( because that old Moly is Nasty !!! ) >> >> You can triple the price ! heh heh... >> >> BJ >> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Michael Sullivan >> <sandwichhead@gmail.com>wrote: >> >>> Not having any trouble, but I have not done them since I bought it 3 >>> years >>> ago. Records show they were replaced by the PO at the stealership. What's >>> a good rpice to service them at a shop? Thanks. >>> Michael in San Antonio >>> 91GL Weekender AT 2.1L 'Gringo' >>> 73 Beetle >>> >> >