Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:29:10 -0600
From:         Bob Johnson <b.johnson1950.2010@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Whatz a Good price to service CVs?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> If by 'do' you mean service/grease ........sure. > if by 'do' you mean replace .....I would not say to 'automatically replace > the rear wheel bearings at the same time' ... > If you man them apart and service/grease them ... > that isn't too practical actually. >

Well, just got through with one rear axle this AM. Wasn't too bad. Pressed the axle out, removed the big Cir- Clip tapped the inner bearing out with a brass drift per Robert.

&&& left the outer bearing in the housing! I could still get to it good and it cleaned up great.

I use compressed air to blow the bearings out after each cleaning / rinsing.

Just have to fight the urge to spin them like we did in AG Class !!! fun fun fun !!!

I use a good Synthetic grease!

PS: It seems taking the wheel side CV joint off of the rear wheel bearing housing is the hard part (when it's on the swing arm )

And when you just remove the housing to service/ grease it along with the CV axle, they both come out in one hooked together assembly. There's all of the cap screws! :o)

All, keep the grease off of the cap screws! hate having those axle's come off during vacation!

I also use lock tight. Torque is 396 inch pounds, I believe.

But, you're right about the "don't fix it if it ain't broke theory! Give any one species to much rope .... ;o)