Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:26:07 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Digifane without Throttle Position switch???
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

Hi, skeptical eh, first ...if it is from Chris Corkins ....if he is tencentlife on the Samba.. if it's the same person ... that guy gets and A+ from me... and that is saying something as I'm usally pretty disspapointed in many products and instructions etc.

I'm in dialogue with him on one of his engines, break in oil, oil cooler fitment, etc. etc. etc... now THERE is a guy who takes the time to explain things in detail, very articulate ... REALLY a pleasure to read what he has to say.......and believe me, that guy 'tries like hell' to deliver some good stuff ! I can already recommend one of his waterboxer engines, I can 'tell' the guy puts his heart and soul into it. Most van work, most conversion parts.......all of it , I seldom see really 100 % ..I see 75 % at the most .. I see bad work on vanagons cosntantly, and conversion parts that don't fit, and instructions that are lame, etc. etc. like 'all the time.'

as I said, I am seldom impressed, but I am VERY impressed with that guy and his stuff. He puts total effort into everything he does, as far as I can tell so far.

and it says on the instruction sheet ..."like the OEM swtich, the vac sw circuit closes the TB switch circuit when throttle is fully closed , as at idle or overrun, and also when throttle is opened under acceleration or high engine load. In the latter cse, the vac sw responds to the actual engine load, rather than having to to hold the gas pedal to the floor to employ this funciton. the vac switch will signal the ECU for load enrichment even at mid-throttle positions. "

sounds great to me. what attracts me is that it is sentive to the ACTUAL thing you would want this to be sensitive to, which is air flow and pressure, where the stock set up tries do to that off the mechanical position of the throttle plate, and those get worn ...the bushings etc... they may not return to zero position well, the bushings get sloppy , the switches sometimes can't reach adjustment anymore, the switches get all corroded sometimes... it is clearly a good example of where electronics can do something much better than a mechanical system can. it's my same old thing : - 'where something mechanical and something electrical/electronic interface, that is a weak area ." ...like throttle switches are.

just like a MAF transcends the weakness of a AFM ...same here I suspect ... it leaps right past the limitations and weakness of the mechanical throttle body switch/es.

I thought you'd really light up and think highly of this device. I expect it to work well. the basic principle sounds very sound to me. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@attglobal.net> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 12:16 PM Subject: Re: Digifane without Throttle Position switch???