Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:16:00 -0700
From:         "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I'm fixing a hole [in the fresh water tank]
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

mcneely4@cox.net wrote: > I don't really find it to be difficult to fill the tank from the top. > Raise the cabinet lid, take off two screws, take off the tank cover, > fill it (using a hose with an shut off valve). >

Need to add some steps:

Raise the rear table up and out of the way, Open the rear cabinet lid, Pull all the stuff out of the cabinet so I can get to access plate, Find short Phillips driver Remove one screw and set aside in cabinet along with screwdriver, Rotate plate out of the way whereupon it strikes the loose screw and sends it tumbling down into the opening to be forever lost next to the tank in the cabinet, Curse, Hoick that big ol' inspection lid out of the way, Haul in garden hose, Fill tank, Take garden hose back out, Try for about a minute to get that big ol' inspection lid back on without cross-threading it, Swing plate back into place and pause for a moment to regret loss of screw, Put all the stuff back into the cabinet, Close the lid, Replace rear table, Wonder what happened to the short Phillips driver.

I have a length of food-grade very flexible hose 40 feet long with a female hose thread at one end. The hose is slender enough to push down the filler opening many inches. A large binder clip holds it in place (clamp it to the electrical inlet lid). It takes less than 3 minutes to fill the tank.

I never used to worry about the green light or overfilling the tank, I just ran water until the water squired out the filler hole. Now after that one leak that dripped out the bottom of the van for a day, I have to be more cautious, or find out why it never leaked before but does now. Thus my desire to seal the opening at the top of the tank.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Westrailia: (Ladybug Trailer company, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.) Bend, OR KG6RCR