Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:27:34 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Was Techron, now MMO
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

---- Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET> wrote: > MMO, like many other additives is great stuff when used as intended. > > But like any other successful product, our marketing spin doctors grab onto > the stuff and soon it's great for anything under the hood, your constitution > and your 2 year olds diaper rash! > > BTW, when we came across a seriously sludged engine we would drain the oil, > pour in 4 quarts of transmission fluid and run AT IDLE for a few minutes. > > Then we would drain the transmission fluid from the crank case, remove, > drain & reinstall the old oil filter, pour in some used oil and run for a > few minutes again. The transmission fluid would always come out black. > > Finally, we would do a complete oil & filter change with new oil. > > I told a friend about this procedure after looking under his valve covers & > seeing serious sludge. He drained the oil, poured in 4 quarts of > transmission fluid and drove the car!!!! > > The exercise did not seem to hurt anything but some don't follow directions > well. > > Tom > www.stir-plate.com

Years ago (many), my new wife and I had one of the first Ford Falcons, about 4 years old, maybe 50K miles at the time. It developed a knock, don't know till this day what it was. We were out gallavanting about East Texas, maybe 200 miles from home, weekend. We checked at a roadside stop for an additive that might clear it up for long enough to get home (hoping). The owner, mechanic happened to be at the place, not mechanicing that day, but cleaning up and putting inventory in order. He said the best thing he had for the situation was ATF, one quart in an oil change. So, we did it, and drove home. Stopped knocking in just a few miles. Spoke to my brother, a mechanic about it. He said sure, and do it a couple more times, but no more than a quart per oil change, then go back to regular oil (at that time, straight 30 weight, multi-grade oils were new but not generally recommended). The beast never knocked again, and we kept it until it had 120K miles at which point we wrecked it and got a Dodge Dart.

David > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf Of > David Beierl > Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:28 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Techron > > At 06:26 PM 6/18/2010, Karl Ploessl wrote: > >another contender is/was Marvel Mystery oil (some might still remember > > The Atomic Four marine engine (L-head) has an unpleasant tendency to develop > sticky valves. There's a strong consensus in the A-4 community that a pint > of MMO per twenty gallons of fuel will eliminate this tendency, and my > experience is that this is so; although it's equally important to cover the > exhaust and intake openings when laying up over the winter. > > No applicability to Vanagons is implied. But it's great stuff for getting > into seized electric-motor bearings and getting them running again (Vanagon > heater blower...), and similar penetrant+lubrication situations. I just > filled my four-ounce can from my gallon can... > > Yours, > David

-- David McNeely