Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jun 2010 20:03:37 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Freeze-12 and other A/C supplies

> > >Yes, I read elsewhere that the stuff has propane in it. So do some >other refrigerants. Pretty good thing to have leaking in the engine >compartment, I'd say.

I've been following this thread for some years and realized that If you are really concerned about what the EPA has written on this or what VW has written on this or think that several ounces of flammable gas in your AC system is a serious danger you should take your Vanagon and checkbook and turn the van over to your local AC shop. Tell them you want it "legal", you want it "cold" and to call you when it's ready.

If you are going to DIY and you realize that there are already everyday flammability issues in a Vanagon you won't have a problem. Leaks? Bad seals or 134a with it's smaller molecule leaking thru the hose itself? Both fixable.

Want to do a search for AC stuff on the list? I some suggestions to try:

R12 to R134a Air Conditioning Conversion from June 2004 Re: 134 conversion from January 2005 Re: A/C resuscitation - where to start? from May 2007 Re: Air Conditioning Question (NOT conversion related) from Aug 2007 Re: How to convert to 134? from May of 2008 Re: AC High Side - line leak - rubber hose from June 2008 Improving the performance of the Vanagon air conditioning fan and saving the switch from Mar 2009 Re: AC System Repair/ Upgrade from July 2009 Re: Adding freon from April 2010 Re: A/C work question from May 2010

If you have access to the subaruvanagon list archives I can get you some more 'ideas' of threads to search for.

Rob becida@comcast.net