Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:50:13 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Was Techron, now MMO
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

The transmission fluid trick will work for any engine that has coked up rings.

The cause is the that the oil in the ring lands is exposed to high combustion driven temperatures and some of the oil is turned into rock hard, black carbon - the process is called coking. Some engines are more susceptible to coking than others and some never do.

The early 5W-30 oils that GM and others demanded we all use in our 80s and 90s cars seriously contributed to the problem because the additive packages in these oils were very susceptible to coking. The 10W-40 oils suffered from the same problem. I don't know if the oil companies solved this one.

Also, coking is what changes your gasoline engine oil black. Some of the carbon washes back out of the rings & into your crank case. This is also why synthetic oil used in some cars never turns black - 100% synthetic oil can withstand much higher temperatures before coking.

And this is also why synthetic oil is the best anti-coking solution for engines with this problem. Even the thinner 5W XX synthetics don't have the problem Dino oils have because they don't need as many additives as Dino oil.

Tom www.stir-plate.com