Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:46:55 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cranky 86+ sliding door latch
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

it's not that hard to get to at all really, as long as you can unscrew the attaching screws with the door on the van - the angle is a bit weird.

but once you can get those two mounting screws off and door panel off, it removes easily.

it is a standard two detent capture latch. Shouldn't be a mystery, however...I went 'just nutty' on a late syncro westy where the back edge of the door would pop open in flight. I had 3 latches to work with. I tried *everything* , I tried everything 10 times each. no matter what, I could not get it to engage the 2nd detent and hold.

here is what Peter at Van Cafe told me...."I put a mark on the old latch so I won't use it over.. then I throw it away, then I put a good used one on, then I pray.

that is literally what he said. I kinda concur. I look at it every which way ...and it 'should' work ... but the one I worked on ...it would hold on the first detent....but it just would not grab 2nd detent strongly, and hold it well.

the cable inside the door is not adjustable for length ... put there is sufficient freeplay that it is not pulling on the latch , like keeping it from getting full engagement, not that I could see at all.

let us know when you figure it out ! I have only seen the problem in Syncro westy's so far. I even wonder if this door thing is a factor in the reinforced frame rails late syncro's have. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:20 PM Subject: Re: Cranky 86+ sliding door latch