Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:38:01 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: tire jack suggestions for 88 GL
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>

re "you never know how much the dudes in the shop have cranked their air wrenches when putting your tires back on................"

you let tires stores touch your van or install the wheels ? I would never. that's just asking for trouble.

I take my wheels and tires in another car, and have them do the mounting and balancing, then I put them on my van/s myself....it's the only way to know it's right.

speaking of needing a breaker bar ... Road & Track had a fancy new volvo worked on at a dealership .. including mounting wheels. And you might think they would do a good job for a major nationally known magainze ( or maybe they didn't know )

anyway, they got a flat. All the kings men, and all the kings horses could not get that wheel off. Not the tow truck driver, not the CHP - nobody. It ended up costing them 500 bucks to get things straightened out. Wheel lug nuts were probably on at 500 ft lbs.

The only way to know it's really right is to do it yourself, sadly.

a good breaker bar, and 6 point socket helps, that's for sure.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Alcock" <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 12:38 PM Subject: Re: tire jack suggestions for 88 GL