Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jun 2010 06:22:22 -0700
From:         Jay lefstein <jleftbrane@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      need chocolate brown carpet,
              and update on wiring problem and clunking.

good morning Vanadudes.

I have taken a deposit on my 84 2wd westy with a bostig conversion. happy and sad...

it has a wiring issue. I posted to the group and everybody came back with check the grounds

I have gone though the grounds 1 by one under the dash and the all check out good!!

thought I had deduced it to the the wiring for the dash light that the dimmer switch controls. i thought this because at the light switch that wire tested as ground with the switch off ( which i don't think is normal and now that i write this i think i will test one of my other vans to confirm ) and when i turned the switch on it had power

i un-hooked the various points of that wire till the ground went away 1 by 1. it seemed to be a short in the bulb for the rear heater switch light. then i put it all back together without that light and the problem still seems to be there.

although i plugged in some used electrical portions of the key switch that i had kicking around here i am not convinced at this point that it isn't part of the problem and i will try a different one this eve.

I am looking for chocolate brown carpet for the front floor and between the seats, I gave mine away when i got rubber floor from a transporter. now i want to keep the rubber floor......anybody have some they would sell?? please call 778-995-0070 or P/m me...

Now then I have been having odd experiences lately when it comes to working on my own vans ( i work as an apprentice mechanic as a day job ) yesterday I pulled my Syncro into the shop at work, put it on the hoist in hope of installing BFG AT"S onto my 16" mercedes 8 hole rims. I started taking a rear wheel off when my gun started getting weak. turned out are compressor stoped working right when all the mechanics left and i started to do my own thing WTF??? I brought it to the attention of the bosses ( my wheels are one thing but we need that to work tomorrow right ??)

I moved onto a broken tranny mount bolt and the clunking noise I had told you guys about maybe 2 weeks back... drilled out the broken bolt and put a nut and bolt in it... then took a closer look around under the syncro... as i had thought there was an issue with the cv shaft... the wheel side bolts were all loose!!! i had missed this before because they were tight enough that i could not get movement by hand ( lesson learned ) so i tightened them all up and went to drop the hoist... no such luck. infact my van is still at work resting it's wheels and waiting for new shoes

i'll let you guys know if the clunk is gone if i ever get the van back on the ground :)