Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:25:24 -0400
From:         Rowan Tipton <uther@DRAGONHOME.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Dealing w/ eBay vendors who want non-eBay sale

On Jun 22, 2010, at 12:31 AM, Mike S wrote: > > "We don't allow our members to use eBay to contact each other to make > offers to buy or sell items outside of eBay. Also, members can't use > information obtained from eBay to contact each other about buying or > selling outside of eBay."

If I read that correctly it means that if I ever buy, or just see, something advertised on ebay from some vendor who is well known in the Vanagon community, say GoWesty, then I can never buy anything from their store again... for the rest of my life! That is beyond belief. If I find a vendor who has an item for sale on ebay and when I try to buy that item they try to get me to buy it directly from them, I will never deal with them again. But if they don't have the item I want in their ebay listing then I see nothing wrong with buying it from them directly. Once I have a relationship with a vendor, regardless of how I established that relationship, no one's policy can legally stop me from buying from them in whatever fashion I want.

Do you really believe that ever vendor who has ever sold anything through ebay should check before they sell anything to anyone to be sure that person never made a purchase from them through ebay - and if they have refuse to sell to them? Companies make lots of policies that are just silly. And lots of policies that are not legally enforceable. If a vendor sells some things through ebay but not everything they sell, then I will only buy the item they sell through ebay from ebay - but anything else I feel free to buy direct.

I remain, as always YrLyl&ObdntSrvnt,