Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jun 2010 20:56:36 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: squished gas tank?
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@mts.net>

After running it dry, remove the fuel filter and empty it out backwards on a clean dish, and see what's in there, and how restricted it is. It's risky to run an old fuel tank down to empty ... just can accumulate in there, and get into the fuel system.

'eventually' 2WD vanagons just need new fuel tanks. They're not very repairable. Try to find a high quality one, if you buy a new one.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Palmer" <jpalmer@mts.net> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:10 PM Subject: Re: squished gas tank?

Thanks to everyone who responded. Sorry if I wasn't clear. My mileage (MPG) hasn't decreased, but the amount i can travel on one tank seems to have (although I haven't run it dry - just let it get to the usual low point in the Reserve). Just for kicks i'm going to run it dry this weekend.

So since it never reads full, and i have no reason to believe the tank is squished, i wonder if it's a ground issue or the voltage stabilizer issue. I believe the VR also affects the temp gauge as well?

I will get on my hands and knees on the weekend to look. I am ashamed for being so lazy but between work and kid I haven't had time to look. And i couldn't wait to ask!

Thanks again Jeff 85 Westfalia (2wd)