Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:14:51 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: V6 vanagon, with 4 speed auto tranny
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

It is interesting to note that supply is the overwhelming factor in engine conversions. Look at the engine choices on the SA site. They have ready access to the 5-cyl bellhousings so lean engines that fit that. Audi engines are more available there it seems. Afterall, their Syncros even carry an Audi VIN from the ones I've seen. Did you read the author's comments about Zetecs?

Similar thing in Europe where an Audi part is likely to be cheaper than a Subaru or Zetec, etc.

When you get to the US, we tend to use engines cheaper and available to us. It's very logical. Subie conversion parts and shops are reasonable plentiful. Lots of broken Subie's because they sold a lot of them here. Zetec's are even easier to find. They may be exotic in RSA, but they are just another Ford engine around here. Look at this guy experimenting with the Chrystler LHS. I see that as the American version of the Audi V6 w/ tiptronic that is done in Europe.

What I'm trying to say is good is a relative term. Without considering the relative merits of performance, the overwhelming factor is cost. Inexpensive -- good. Expensive -- not so good. What's inexpensive here might be quite pricey elsewhere and vice versa. There's no good or bad conversion. It just depends on where you are in the world and what you can get your hands on.

BenT

Sent from my engine conversion