Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:47:57 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Opinions-More Thoughts
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net>

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 6:18 AM, J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net> wrote: > .... I think on the way home last night I had convinced myself I was going to buy it. I emailed the pics I took of it with my cell phone to myself so I could open them up on my laptop when I got home to show my wife. She called it a big brown turd. .....

Now I have in the past worn the numbers down on my credit cards over these things. I've paid all that off now, but I think my wife thinks I'll do it again. I've been to the Bus Depot website and figured out that it needs about $250.00 in parts right away, exhaust is toast (needs new muffler and tailpipe, and I'm betting the cat is shot as well). I'd also like to do the pop top seals as well. Rear hatch struts need replacing too. As for the upholstery, I'm OK with the seat covers for now. Sewfine? Yeah, absolutely. I'll get an envelope, hide it in my sock drawer and start squirreling away 5-10 bucks a week until I've saved up enough to recover the seats. I've learned my lesson on the credit cards. The interest alone that I used to pay in a year would be enough to restore this Vanagon. Back to the Vanagon itself: I like the fact that it is a Weekender.

I don't want to rain on your parade at all or come off as a nag but....

Get the cooling system and head(s) checked thoroughly before purchase. Or at least try to nail down what work was done.

Maybe make a note of that in purchase/sale contract? ("seller sez.....")

And, check out this thread on partsgeek.com

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420340&highlight=geek

A quick glance suggests that for **some** parts, one could save dough. Caveat: never used them. Others may chime in on that place. ;)

If I purchased it, I'd hold off on pop top seals (if falling off, spot tack them in place. Don't run adhesive along entire seal..... don't ask <grin>) then put that "money" into brakes, then exhaust.

Neil. Owner/operator of a Big Brown Turd pic: http://tinyurl.com/2ejvtve

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines