Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:48:01 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake question......
Comments: To: Paul <wognacious@GMAIL.COM>

hi. no , that is not classic brake fad.

Sounds like a tired master cylinder to me. what I call 'sinking pedal'. you can test for it with the van not driving, and just put steady foot pressure on the brake pedal. It should not sink even with your foot hard on it for an hour.....or you know, 10 full minutes.

if the pedal sinks doing that test ...likely internal leaking from chamber to chamber within the MC - or out in the wheels, like rear wheel cylinders.

Brake fad is when you have decent pedal, but brake pads and calipers have gotten so hot from continued or hard downhill use, that the brake fluid starts to boil... then you have essentially no brakes, are barely any.

btw ... continued light use ..or steady light use, as in a long decent is not the right thing to do at all. that just builds up heat. Instead...use the brakes hard enough to drop some speed, then don't use them ... given them some cooling time...then use again a little harder, then let cool etc...

continued light or steady use is not right at all. Even in regular non-hill driving. Excessive light braking contributes to brake squeal, maybe even pad glazing .. brakes work much better when 'exercised' more. As a regular practice, on any car, you should use the brakes to about say 2/3 of their ability, intentionally, now and then. Like for off ramps ...slow from 50 to 30 harder than you normally would once in a while. Don't over do it. Just avoid lots of very light brake use, or lots of steady light application. And brake in new pads properly too. Another subject. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul" <wognacious@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 11:54 PM Subject: Brake question......