Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:06:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: lug nuts torque-
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

It's ok on modern tires to cross-rotate them.. when radials first came out it was a big no-no .. but in the last 10 to 15 years they have decided it's ok.

I only move them when there is a reason to. 'never' checking on the spare, or runing it on the ground some is just dumb to me. I think tire stores really miss out on a lot of sales by not seeing what the spare tire deal is.

for example...say you are getting 4 new tires....the smart thing to do is save the best one for a spare, and change out the oil spare tire. There are MANY vans running around, with 20 + year old spare tires ... some of the even flat spare tires. it's an area frequently overlooked ...untilt the spare is needed.

and sure...if you have 5 tires of the same type ....a 5 tire rotation is the best deal. It's a waste to have a tire for a spare that is 18 years old, and has 90 % or 100 % tread left. A 'good spare' tire to me is one that has some use on it ... not bald, not leaking or flat, and not new tread-wise but very old years-wise.

there's no real difference between 120 ft lbs and 120 ft lbs in practical terms. If they insisted on 120 ...I'd let them do it, then do it my way when I got home.

half inch drive breaker bars ... there are two kinds ..the common one is sort of a u-joint thing on the end ..I have broken off those very, very easily. Not worth having. Recently a store with such cheap stuff in it that I am afraid to shop in any more ,was having a sale on breaker bars. they had 3 types.. the simple 'almost cross type u-joint at the top' type.....in 18 inches. then the one I got ...18 inces long where the business end is forked sort of ...and the half inch drive part sites inside that ....those are much stronger. It was $ 11 on sale. ( the reason I specificall wanted on like that was .... when undoing caliper mointing bolts ...sometimes those are on tighter than hell...and with a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar with a fixed 90 drgree angle on it ....as you really cream down trying to loosen those caliper bolts...there is a tilting angle too ....which limits how well you can apply force. With a flex-head breaker bar ..you can move the handle outboard some ...so the force angle is purely rotational, with no tilting affect... way much mo' betta.' Significanlty so.

the other one was 24 inches ..too long. and I like a nice 6 point impact gun socket a deep one, for my lug nuts and bolts. Non impact sockets can split on the sides used cavilierly .. that can't happen with an impact socket.

all 2WD vanagons have bolts in front, studs with nuts in the rear. 'Amost' the only car that's mixed that way. Almost all other cars have one system or the other on both ends. Studs with nuts is the better stronger set up. Easier to mount the wheel too.

since you have 5 new matcing tires ...do the 5 tire rotation ..

to 'spend the least' over the long run... rotate 5 until they are about half worn...then save one a good and partially worn spare ... then next time just buy 4 new ones, and rotate those 4 only. But your spare will have excessive years on it if you do that and will be offically speaking 'aged out.'

I bet there is a lot of misinformation in wheel and lug botl/nuts specs at tire stores. if 2WD vanagons have nuts and bolts.. and their system only talks about nuts .. you know right there their system's specs are not complete and accurate.

I do not trust tire stores at all myself. I just bring them my wheels and tires to mount and balance as I ask them too. if they won't like Les Schwab won't , I find a tire place that will.

heck....I think I did this once already .. but at my tire store that I do to for a few years now .. last time I was there, I told them I was willing to pay extra for them to do it right.

Tire mounting people take great pride in how FAST they can do it. ( I have mounted and balanced tires on a tire machnine myself hundreds of times ) .. so it's always '...get the car in the bay, get the wheels off, get the old tires off the wheels, new tires on , and balance ..and FAST ...FAST FAST FAST... that is what they consider good.

so last time I had four mounted for a vanagon of mine, one was leaking badly in a few days.. and sure, sometimes you get a tiny rim leak...that happens...no big deal. but on this particular rim leak .. there was a big chunk of rubber ...from using the tire machine to peal the tire onto the rim ... and being in a hurry ...they got an inch long piece of tire rubber between tire and rim. And that inch long piece would not even come off the tire if doing the work carefully. and it sure would not end up between tire and rim if being even half careful.

as I said, I told them I was willing to pay extra for having them do it carefully, rather than very quickly. That is so funny... "I have a special requirement, and I am willing to pay extra. I want it done right and good careful work.."

I would say you really are going get true excelence and real care ...MAYBE ....not even 10 % of the time, in car repair, vanagon repair, and tire mounting - Based on what I see in the real world of vanagons. Perhaps it's not really quite that bad, but sloppy work at tire stores is not uncommon. I'm talking about *everything* being exactly precisely where it belongs,. all things adjusted to spec and matching , no fingerprints on anything, nothing lost or broken or overlooked...all the tiny details. frankly, I do not perceive that that is really even available very often.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 2:25 PM Subject: Re: lug nuts torque-

---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote:

> and checking how tight they are after getting van back from a tire store - > very smart !

Just got back. Lug bolts (not nuts, which I said previously in error) were torqued at the shop to the 130 ft. lbs specified in the owner's book (I saw the tech make the adjustment on the wrench and tighten to the click). An odd thing there (Discount Tires): the clerk ("Assistant Manager" -- aren't they all?) told me his spec for the torque was 120 ft. lbs, and showed me on his computer screen. I questioned that, and he read further, finding that his program stated that the 120 ft. lbs was for lug nuts, and that the torque for lug bolts might differ (but it didn't specify what it should be).

Do any of you have nuts on studs, rather than bolts in holes? Just askin'............... .

BTW, I have no trouble loosening the lugs with my 4-way (just checked after returning from the tire shop), but I likely will get a breaker and socket -- for the easier storage if for nothing else. Why haul around 3 extra arms and sockets I don't need? So, is an inexpensive breaker ok, or do I need to pay a higher dollar? Are they adjustable for torque, or do I use it like I have always used any lug wrench -- tighten until it seems right?

Wow, I seem naive for an old fart, but I've never used anything other than a lug wrench on wheels.

Another question -- The owner's manual says to rotate the tires front to back and back to front, with no crossover. That's like we used to do with directional radials, but most are not directional now. I have symmetrical tires, and I like to include the spare in the rotation. The tire shop guy first said to just move them around the vehicle in a circular fashion including the spare. Then he found in his service book that said if the customer insists on including the spare in the rotation to switch the spare for the right front, which becomes the spare, cross the rears to the front, move the fronts straight back to the rear. I have always crossed rears to front as his service book said, but I was just wondering what most folks do. Also, his service book stated that it is "not recommended" to include the spare in the rotation. Why would that be? He had no explanation. I prefer to include the spare in the rotation so as not to accumulate an old but not used tire -- I bought five tires new 14 months ago, and they now have a bit over 6K miles. At that rate, these tires will still be around in 8 or 10 years. I should use all five, seems to me. BTW, they are Kumho 857s, and they are wearing wonderfully well -- nice and even across the tread, even around all four tires.

David McNeely