Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 2010 20:42:22 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Opinions-Pics of the Westy
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

all right .. thanks for making me chuckle reading your note. Hope others enjoyed it too. yeah, ...go for it . and I would find 'the perfect vangon' that needs no work or repairs kinda boring actually, myself.

it's not like you're going in completely ignorant either . it'll be fun if you get it. and with few to chose from in your area ..why not !

----- Original Message ----- From: "J Stewart" <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 8:16 PM Subject: Re: Opinions-Pics of the Westy

HI Scott, Hey thanks again to everyone, YOU PEOPLE are the the best, and the reason I'm looking for another Vanagon. I know I sound like a kid who just wants to hear "Sure Jeff, sounds like a great deal, buy it". The irony here is that years ago on this very list I shot down a young kid who posted pics of the worst looking rust bucket I'd ever seen. I told him to PLEASE listen to me and give up on this one. He answered me back with "Damn dude, why are you so negative?" Why? I'd been there before, and sure enough, after many posts he dropped out of sight. I simply wanted him to learn from my mistakes. This one ain't perfect, and while I could possibly spend more and get a much better one, it's hard for me to justify for two reasons: I have a 2010 PT Cruiser company car and I have a 17 yr. old daughter heading to college next year. Plus I like "tinkering" with these things. My last one I purchased with a seized engine, and following Jim Thompson's excellent write up transplanted a 2.1 engine into an '84 Westy. Anyway, I'm headed back tomorrow with the wife to make a final decision. Another thing is that these vans are geographical-here in Virginia there aren't a whole lot to choose from. If I include non campers there are more to choose from, but still only 3 or 4. What ever happens, I'm just looking forward to going to some VW camping events again...SOON! Thanks again, everyone!

Jeff Stewart

----- "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > Hi Jeff, > lol. > Additional comments ? .... > sounds like it's almost a done deal. > > again, I would say add up some #'s on what it needs, > tactfully educate the seller about it and make a reasonable offer. > I've saved hundreds in just a sentence or two doing that .. > > here's another tip about 'price' ... > and believe me, I do not harangue people are try hard to talk them down, I > just think the price is highish for what it probably needs. > .........generally .....if people know they have a sale, and the van is > gone > and the whole thing is a clean deal... > they'll easily accept 80 % of asking price. 'usually.' > > I have a strong feeling some shops would talk to you about a whole new > engine .. > or an expensive head job . I don't believe it's even had the compression > tested. I can just about tell you what it is from here, psychically. No > kidding. > > but enjoy your new ride if you get it ! > and I hope it works out quite well ! > > Scott > turbovans > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "J Stewart" <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 6:39 PM > Subject: Opinions-Pics of the Westy > > > > OK, again, much thanks to ALL who have replied, but I do need to say > > that > > I am NOT a newbie to Vanagons and their special needs. I've had two, > > plus > > 8 air cooled buses.I know this is a vehicle that some days I will wish I > > had never seen. That said, here is a link to pics of the Vanagon I am > > most > > likely going to buy tomorrow... > > http://picasaweb.google.com/veedubguy84/MyPictures#5486888520249705282 > > > > Again, any additional comments welcome! Thanks, everyone. Jeff > > > > > > > > Jeff Stewart > >