Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:09:19 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy's  vs Other Configurations for Camping

I think my homemade camper conversion in my (previously) 7 passenger Vanagon GL has some big advantages over a full Westy configuration: 1.  BIG bed...after all, that's the reason we have vans rather than SUV's for camping and roadtrips...instant hotel.  Mine originally had the Z-bed...took it out...too hard and "uneven", and the hardware linkage mechanism takes up a surprising amount of space.  I'm 6'1", girlfriend is 5'10", so a big comfortable bed sure makes for a nice trip.  Can carry 5 people if needed (rare). 2.  Lower vehicle weight and center of gravity...all that wood is heavy and bulky, not to mention the weight of the fridge and stove unit.  I DO like the Westy undervehicle propane...but could always add that.  So better handling & MPG, less wind resistance and wind noise. 3.  Plastic ice chest works just fine....I tend to stop once a day for fresh food and gas and ice anyway....easy to move around and clean, can set outside of vehicle if needed for meal prep.  Also, like to have lots of ice for beverages. 4.  Stealth Camping:  another biggie for me...a raised pop-top would draw unwanted attention.  I installed a 14" square screened roof vent and made my own side window screens (larger than a Westy) so have plenty of cross-ventilation and chimney effect.  Even with poptop down, everybody knows it may have people sleeping inside.  Never needed to sleep 3 or 4, most trips for me are 1 or 2.  Passenger Vanagon looks less suspicious. 5.  Closet:  Sure takes up a lot of space; duffle bags with clothes you toss up into front seat area at night works just fine. 6.  Cooking:  don't want the splatter and odors, so a gasoline Coleman stove outside works great.  As a backup, carry a single burner stove that screws on top of a 1 lb. propane bottle....for rare occasions for heating food inside the van or boiling water for hot beverages.  Stores under the rear seat. 7.  Couch:  my setup has a full rear seat, and a fullwidth swing-up section for sleeping, or in this case, turns the rear into a very nice couch (approximately 30" x 60" seat area) for reading or lounging or watching the 10.2" DVD player...very spacious. 8.  Swivel front seat:  don't have, might be nice, but didn't want the 1.5" height increase...So, when camped, I just push the passenger seat forward off tracks, reverse, re-install, takes 1 minute, and presto! 9.  Carrying gear:  with rear seat backrest folded flat (like for sleeping), easy to carry 4 x 8 plywood, bicycles, surfboards...or to use vehicle as a moving van. 10.  Garage:  I keep my Vanagon garaged, don't know if pop top would fit.  As it is, I "cringe" when entering parking garages, would cringe more with Westy. 11.  Storage of odds and ends:  I built a 3 drawer "dresser" to hold all of the little things, entertainment, cooking stuff, etc.  Also built a wall-mounted fold-up table for dining indoors bug-free and wind-free. 12.  Shower Contraption:  With the rear heater removed, I have plenty of room for my hot water shower, and also a 6 gallon plastic Jerry Can of water.  Also store tools, stove, lantern & fuel, skillet, hatchet, shovel, and plenty more under there.  Easy access via flip up rear seat. 13.  Curtains:  used Walmart curtain rods with homemade curtains for 3 sides, a bungee cord mounted curtain across the van behind the front seats, gives total privacy, yet with the front seats "showing", doesn't look like it's all "closed up"...again, the stealth-camping issue. 14.  Sink:  a plastic dishpan outside works fine, or inside even.  Mostly just wipe the teflon skillet with a paper towel, and a cold water soak, rinse and wipe is OK for utensils and glassware. 15.  Cost:  passenger Vanagon much cheaper than a Westy. 16.  Shore Power:  a 30 Foot extension cord is used when AC power is available, and a Triple outlet.  It enters van at front door, on the floor, the weatherstrip doesn't crush it.  Use it for 1500 W electric heater, light, computer, etc.  Mostly for fall and winter; campgrounds out West with AC power are rare...very common east of the Mississippi. So don't overlook the possibility of converting a passenger Vanagon into a very nice camper; takes a bit of ingenuity, but rewarding effort.  Designed mine with Solidworks 3D CAD software, built it in 3 weekends...mostly spent dreaming and planning and measuring and sketching.  Someday, I plan to "upgrade" to a stripped-out Sprinter Van, and build my own interior just the way I like it. Rich 85 Vanagon GL with homemade camping interior San Diego