Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jun 2010 14:04:42 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Sink P Trap Replacement and Replacement Hose
Comments: To: Wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Just replaced the P trap under the sink in my '90 Westy. I had the whole kit from Van Cafe. First, there was some discussion a week or so ago about the length of the replacement hose shipped from Bus Depot. It was said to be 24 inches long, to short. I measured the one I had, almost exactly three feet (36 inches) and actually to long! I reinstalled the original big bulky hose because first there was nothing wrong with it and second I didn't like the replacement. Even though it would take up less room and might be routed more out of the way it would have had at least one kink in the flexible sections and I don't want that to trap 'stuff' that might get washed down the drain. And thanks for the tip some time back from someone on getting the old trap off. Use the Dremel! Don't leave home without it. There was no way the old trap was going to unscrew, the whole fitting was turning in the bottom of the sink. Couple of cuts with the Dremel and some prying with a big screwdriver/pry bar/wrecking tool and it was apart. BTW, had to replace for two reasons. First, the bracket inside that the screw that holds the bottom half of the trap attaches to was broken and the screw itself had rusted away. In addition the stuff growing in the trap had plugged the drain to the point that it didn't (drain that is). So it might be a good idea to unscrew that little screw on the bottom of your P trap and do some cleaning. Water stands in the bottom there and nasty stuff grows.