Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:40:09 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Sink P Trap Replacement and Replacement Hose
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

<<Just replaced the P trap under the sink in my '90 . I had the whole kit from Van Cafe. First, there was some discussion a week or so ago about the length of the replacement hose shipped from Bus Depot. It was said to be 24 inches long, to short. I measured the one I had, almost exactly three feet (36 inches) and actually to long!>> snip

Loren:

I was the one who posted the original question. Ted from Go Westy e-mailed me back to tell me the standard length was 36 inches. Fred from Bus Depot insisted that the standard length was 24", and said they had sold "hundreds" of kits with no complaint. After e-mailing BD several comments from this forum, I was told that they contacted the vendor and would ship me a 36 inch hose. So, just a little disappointed with BD, but glad to know they are sending out a replacement hose at no cost. I do feel as though I was lied to though, and this experience certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth about a popular list vendor.

I actually have a piece of reinforced three-quarter inch hose connecting mine at the moment, as I did not want to leave it unhooked while I wait for the replacement. I think it was about four bucks at Lowe's, and I'm sure will probably last 20 years! Certainly nice to get one more confirmation of the correct length of the hose contained in the kits. I thought I was going nuts there for while.

The trick that I learned long time ago was to take a pair of pliers and insert the handles in the Tee of the drain, which prevents it from spinning. Small needle nose handles work well too. Then it's a simple matter of unscrewing the trap or nut from the bottom. Not sure if your strainer had a nut on it or not. The new P. trap seem to tighten right up against a good thickness neoprene washer without any locking nut--no leaks. The little screw on the bottom of my p-trap was all rusted out as well. Seems like it's something that should be made out of brass or stainless, but obviously is not! Overall, the fact that the original trap has lasted over 20 years is pretty decent, and really not much to complain about!

I may eventually put at a 90° elbow in the floor of the van, which would then allow full access to the bottom shelf without any restrictions, but not a real priority for me as most of the items I put down there are small, but may be a worthwhile upgrade for people who store larger items.

Cheers,

Troy