Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:59:04 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Silicone tape = rescue tape, was Pesky Oil Leak

They use that slightly triangular section so that as you overlap your wraps, it has appx. the same thickness. Like when you wrap handlebars on a bicycle with 'real' bar tape...it has thinner edges and a thicker center so when finished you have a smoother more consistent wrap.

I repaired a water hose right as it exits the head of my inline 4 motor with rescue tape about 2 months ago. Right next to the exhaust manifold. It is water that is headed to the radiator to get cooled off....so it is HOT there. Mine is still in place, the tape and not leaking a drop. I have a spare hose now and I am waiting to see how long it will go without failing, that tape...Amazing stuff...

My dipstick sleeve cracked recently and I am planning on taping that up, too..I don't want to try to duplicate the fancy (but obviously not quite right) welding or brazing job the Original owner did when he converted my van using diesel part on the gas motor. I just patched up a router cord also, after some critter ate it..Wonder if the rats and mice like Rescue tape as well as normal cords? Don Hanson