Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:44:31 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cruising Speed

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 5:57 PM, David Klein <david@ashtec.ca> wrote:

> I do 55 mph. It is not the destination it is the trip along the way!! > > David > He is so right about traveling across the desert. So yah, maybe the first time you cross parts of the Mojave or any of the other western deserts, or make your first trip down the interior of Baja, it is sort of interesting and the trip is....happening. But make that your tenth trip, or your twentieth across the same two or three day desert and you just want to get there....When you think....Jeeze, I have almost 1000 miles of THIS...at 50mph that will be....20hrs Then it occurs to bump up the speed to 70 and you can get done with the boring stuff in just 14 odd hours...Leaving you with 6 extra hours to do something besides stare out the windshield at the passing sagebrush.....again...

We did some Open Road racing in Nevada in a really fast Porsche. They close down a section of highway about 100 miles long and let us run our cars as fast as we wanted...(simplified) You attempt to achieve a target speed..or if you run in the Unlimited Class, you try to go as fast as you can over the 100 mile stretch... So I recently re-traced one of our courses...Austin, on highway 50 up to Battle Mountain on I-70...about 100 miles, more or less It took us about 2.5 hrs in my Vanagon. We ran that course (The Pony Express Open Road Race) in my 90 GT 928 Porsche in the Supersport class with a target speed of 165mph and that meant our target time for the same course was about 36 minutes....A lot more fun at that speed and I don't think I missed any 'scenery' even though at that speed you only have about 20-odd seconds to see each mile ...

But in the Van, I just endure the boring parts of the drive and travel at 65 or so. I always attempt to find alternate routes. The trouble is there aren't enough alternatives up and down the west coast or east/west across the western deserts...been over them all dozens of times. I choose 395 when weather permits...but it's still boring south of Bishop...I need Scotty to beam me down from Bishop to La Paz...me and my van.. Don Hanson