Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:00:50 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC While Camping
Comments: To: Tom Buese <tombuese@COMCAST.NET>

> Mr. BZ-chiggers worse than hot soup?

Winter in the SE can be delightful, if one stays away from the trampling hordes of humanity in Florida. In most of the SE, no chiggers in winter. Those are mainly a summer phenomenon. But they are AWFUL. When I was small, we lived in West Texas. No chiggers, too dry. At age ten, we visited relatives in Dallas. The Blackland is the absolute worst for chiggers. Combine chigger welts covering most of a small child's body with prickly heat rash, also experienced for the first time ever, because of always living in an arid habitat. Remember, almost no one had air conditioning at home, back then. Deliver me from chiggers, forever.

Sulfur powder is a sure deterrent. I keep a plastic bag with an old sock full of powdered sulfur in it for field time in chigger season. Just powder yourself good with the sulfur, especially around the belt line, in the groin, and around the ankles. Anywhere clothing is just a tad tight. Chiggers will give you a wide berth. I usually go for overkill with the stuff, and look like I fell in a flour bin.

No good against ticks, though. For those, you just have to search em out and pick em off.

David McNeely