Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 2010 05:57:08 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mexico Vanagon honeymoon
Comments: cc: greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 21/06/2010 8:22:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Exactly what Loren says and even louder ! Travel in Mexico is becoming a problem. Be careful and watch your Ps & Qs. The border crossing are the most dangerous, and since ALL the news media have pulled their reporters out of their due to kidnappings we are not getting the full story. We like Nuevo Progresso, the rural crossing not the town one, small unassuming rural place out in the farmland, I'll look it up and P-mail yo the exact location. Take the back roads out of Harlington, Texas, which is a good spot to get an overnight in the Walmart lot. Also, very easy spot to get all your papers done in one fell swoop, vehicle permit and people permits. Once inside far from the border travel is quite safe and mostly quiet. Always be extra careful in and around BIG cities, like Monterray, Tampico, Veracruz and such. There is so much to see you will run out of time quickly. Your map shows up with the link you provided but no route on it ?????? Going down the east coast to the Yucatan I presume. Not the best coast line, we like the West more but its further. The Yucatan is FULL of runis and Cenotes (big fresh water sink holes where you can swim, some tourist organized some not), you'll have your hands full trying to see them all. Playa del Carmen is good if you like cities. Cancun is a zoo, stay away ! If you want to see ruins then stick with that option. One of the best ruins I have been at is at Coba, you can bike around with yours or a rental. Lots of places to camp or rent ! Also, it's gonna be HOT when you go so be prepared ! May also be stormy that time of the year, like in tropical storms. Camping at the Pemex stations while 'en route is the preferred way. Lots of security and good folks around. I have friends who have property down that way but they will not be around while your there BUT if you need help just p-mail me and they may be able to hook you up with the good folks they know down there. When buying stuff and you sure will, BARGAIN, the first price is NEVER the last price, you will learn ! Also, there are tons of info that I and my fellow travellers have posted about travel in Mexico over the last few years on our Blogs. If you have the time you should read them. _ZamoraBlog_ (http://poolio.net/zamorablog/) -- _BacalarBlog_ (http://poolio.net/bacalarblog/) -- _Westfalia Travels_ (http://westfaliatravels.com/)

PS, Congratulations on the upcoming ? wedding and enjoy yourselves, IT will be an adventure you will not soon forget. If you have an specific questions P-mail me ! I will try to answer them.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ (http://frankcondelli.com/trainsal.htm) ) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://frankcondelli.com/busindex.html) - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ (http://frankcondelli.com/exhaust.htm) _BusFusion_ (http://www.busfusion.com/) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 10 ~ 13, 2010