Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:28:33 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      was Brake question......now NVC at the end of Friday
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

lol, re Some Vanagon drivers seem to be...a little more interested in The Experience than in the actual process of driving the things...

you notice that too ? I'd say 'many car driver's ' do that .

here's how I figure it ... i'm very consicous of my driving, and how easy I'm being on the machinery etc.. but I figure, the common person driving, is thinking about their driving, or being easy on the mahcine and so forth, about as much as I am thinking about my refrigerator at home... like 'not at all' .. they are just interested in getting to their destination. it's the car's job to take care of itself, in their minds, more or less.

and really ....'most people' just know .. you push on one pedal to make it go, another to make it slow down, and you watch out the front , and turn that wheel in front of you to make that picture stay look ing about right.

no idea at all about say ..oversteer, or wheels locking up under heavy braking .. going easy on the car etc... just not in their consciousness. and I dare say that 'people' in general, are much stupider about cars and their driving than say, 20 or 30 years ago. 'many people' just think the electronics on the car will take care of them.....or that a car is just another applicance that does their bidding without much involvement or concern. they didn't grow up say, driving on snow and ice where you knew you could mess up badly if you didn't pay very close attention , for example. They didn't learn to drive pre-ABS brakes , pre-air bag etc. etc.

yeah, I think most cars go through hell...given what their driver's may not be skilled in .. and I have my opinions about much of work done on them too . and actually... any half decent car could go 300,000 miles easily, with just proper care and nice driving.

regarding servicing on cars....it'll still be friday for two more minutes where I am ... the treand is toward cars that don't need much in the way of service and maintance.. like refrigerators and computers are now ...you just use them.. cars are trending toward that, and electric cars will need very, very little maintaince, mechanically.. they might have electronic glitches or battery issues say .. but electric motors don't need any maintanece, or very, very little.

But cars that can be serviced...ones that you can change fluids on, replace parts that wear ... inspect brakes, maintain tire pressures ...lube little mechanisms here and there ... it's child's play almost, it really is not that hard to do, most of it...regular servivce. 'The trick' is the people involved..the owners and operators wanting that work done, and getting it in for service, and then the people that do it...or 'sorta do it' as the case may be.

my point is, it really, really is not very hard to take care of a car ..not by people that half understand it and know how .. and 'most cars' would last nearly indefenitely with good car and decent operation of them.

Vanagons are like that .. man, if you kept every bearing lubed, every CV joint, all fluids pretty fresh, keep up with every tiny loose thing, and lube things that move ... man ....they would just last a long, long time. And...not even that hard to do, and kinda fun even, if one appreciates that sort of thing.

ok..friday is over ! ( but that was vanagon related anyway ) .

watch out below here ......

Anybody familiar with Charles Bukowski ? .... that guy, as a writer ....his style is like 'brutal' ...uses the minimum of words to report his experience ... often with a twinge of downtroddeness...the struggle of being alive ... in a sparse, simple , brutal style. Fantastic writer ...and he is just so totally outrageously irreverant .... Just the way he tells what life is like for him ....like telling about not wanting to get personally inolved with the guys he buys the bet from at horse tracks ...being going there for yearsm seeing the same people year in and year out .....but doesn't want to get to know them ...he rejects the whole world in a grumpy fascinating style. I like writing that doesn't dance around something, I like it delivered full on ....he sure does. If anyone has any appreciation for writing style .......well...... he would be required reading in any writing class I'd ever have ........he's irreverent, he's nasty almost, he's commonly vulgar ...and ...he's like made being an alchoholic looser/writer a lifestyle - I was gonna say 'his style regardless of content or subject' ...but the content/subject is part of his writing style .....well I relate to it , lol. ....I like oddball stuff , 'too out there' stuff. He's got that in spades. He died in 1994 ....your perfectly irreverant low grade 'champion' fighting through life. And rock solid in your face writing style. And I refrained from using a foul word here once too. I'll be quiet for a while. lol. ok, Friday really is over for this week.

Scott, Renunciate

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 4:45 PM Subject: Re: Brake question......