Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2010, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:43:36 -0600
From:         Jon Kanas <kanas@QADAS.COM>
Subject:      Query for Colorado Vanagon Owners

Greetings folks,

This inquiry is specifically for Colorado Vanagon owners who are subject to the front range dynomometer emission type testing. I would like to know (via private email) of anyone who has encountered problems with the conduct of emission tests at these facilities on your Vanagon(s). If you have had a problem, can you provide supporting documentation if requested?

Why an I asking? I recently had an unsatisfactory experience with the Envirotest center being unwilling / unable to achieve highway speeds during the emissions test. The technician persistently shifting into 4th gear resulting in an "underpowered" condition causing the test to abort. The technician repeated the test, in exactly the same manner three times, apparently expecting the results from his efforts to change, as if by magic. During these repeated test efforts, the technician became progressively more abusive to my Syncro causing me to locate the site manager and request that the technician be properly instructed how to achieve highway speed, or another technician be assigned to the test effort. The manager was rude, abusive and would not respond to my concerns except to tell me his "rules" forbid me from being on the test floor. During the fifth test effort, the technician finally managed to complete the test. The Vanagon did not pass, indicating a rich mixture.

I was in NYC on vacation the following week, so my local shop had the Syncro - they determined that the O2 sensor was not responding as well as it might, replaced it and adjusted the AFM. Their staff member then took the Syncro back to Envirotest. He was also unimpressed with the manner in which the technician handled the Syncro during the test. At the end of the test (passed), the technician neglected to move the cooling fan from in front of the Syncro and ran into it, damaging one of the rubber strips on the front bumper.

I have written a formal letter of complaint to the Envirotest executive office, and would like to be armed with any additional events from other Vanagon owners should I determine it desirable to escalate this issue further.

*Best Regards, Jon B Kanas

Email: kanas<at>qadas.com <mailto:kanas@qadas.com>

*