Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:18:56 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: My AT Rebuild
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

Age of car is 'no excuse' in my book. I don't care what somebody is working on, if they take on the project ... they owe the customer and the project their best work, period.

even to this degree...supposing I let myself get talked into a job by a person I don't like... given that my reputation out in the world is important .....if for no other reason, I owe that job my best shot. Same if I agree to work on say, a Cadillac that I just hate working on...once I commit ... that means it gets my best shot, period.

and 'all shops' should be turning down some work now and then...because some jobs are just plane bad to be involved with ....either the car, or the customer or both .... main thing though is once they say 'yes we will work on your van' .... they should really give it their very best shot , even if they have to study up on how to fix it or whatever. There never is any viable excuse for not doing the best they know how.

and ...you know, greasy fingerprints on a headliner say ..doesn't matter if it's a 25 year old vanagon or 1992 Framousmobile ....it's about committment to results... which obviosly, many people are not aware of ...no concept of what S E R V I C E is .. and I don't mean servicing the car, I mean serving the client.

anway ... great to read Daryl's thinking on the seals and accumulator piston. re valve body ... I had one out of a vanagon auto trans a while back. It was about 2 years on a rebuild and it just will not shift into 3rd. I couldn't see anything obviously blocked or jammed in the va;vee body .. but I did learn that they can be tricky......Talking to german transaxle in Bend...they told me they sell gone-through valve bodies...and that they have a dyno to test vavle bodies on. And reading in Bentley ...where they tell you how to adjust spring pressures or whatever....made me think that's a pretty demanding area, and has to be really right, and onoe can probaly not just clean one and slop it back on or whatever.

it not shifting back up to 3rd after letting of gas in 2nd at 45 mph, sure does not sound right to me. On thing that affects shift points I believe, is length of rod from trans side lever to throttle body on engine .. just a thought there. On vanagons I don't usually have to change that.

whenever I see bad work on the outside...I can only wonder about what bad work might have been done on the inside. and I have seen where the bad work on the outside, exactly reflected the bad work on the inside.

I think you would have been miles ahead to either pull the trans yourself, or have someone pull it, and send it 'only' to a trans shop expeienced with vanagon automatics .........Daryl or German Transaxle.

more and more ....you know, vanagons can be tricky sometimes ...like say fuel injection ... and more and more.....they should be worked on by people that are familiar with them, or at the very least, someone that is Enthusastic about working on them. They're great vehicles. and I will always say they take special care and understanding. and how sloppy many shops are ...tire stores included.. I just simply can not understand how they justify in the back of their minds doing such crap work.

just carelessness too. Guy hired me to check out a 23,000 dollar Eurovan in Ashland he was thinking of buying. I ask about the service on it .....'oh yeah, just had it serviced at the VW dealer, she's ready to go on a trip etc." ... I go to check the engine oil... the VW dealer tech put the plastic engine cover on over the dipstick, instead of installing it so the dipstick fits through the hole in it that the dipstick is suppossed to stick through ...and you couldn't check the oil. a 12 year old that cares wouldn't make that simple mistake. man, I hope that trans thing works out ...but given what I see in terms of sloppy work all the time ... I sure wonder about your trans job.

btw...given how easily and horribly vanagon underparts rust and corrode........I think that transmission shops should either paint and treat all the outsides of their rebuilt transmissions .. or at least offer to the customer 'For X dollars extra we will treat and paint the steel output flanges and other metal and aluminum parts on the outside of the trans to protect it from corrosion."

I am seeing brand new rebuilt transmissions with plain metal plates on the outsdie of them, still rusty, and not treated or painted against corrosion in any way .. and the customers don't know ...they depend on the rebuider experts for guidance there, or rust and corrosion prevention treatments.

a huge portion of the vanagon repair and restoration I do is all about corrosion ... treating and stopping corrosion in many systems..... they're getting old. Like an aircraft , they would last nearly indeffenitely if they were just treated for corrosion here and there, and many things well lubed. Like.........for example, I can not do any tune up work, or change a transmission without also lubing the throttle body on the engine, and the cable barrel clamp where it pivots in the lever.....almost all of those that I see have not been lubed since the factory almost ... my point is ...whatever people touch or work on ....usually many associated areas need simple attention ...simple attention to detail.....and often just about lubrication, and treating/preventing rust and corrosion. "It's not in the parts, it's in the workmanshp."

I hope you're trans get straightened out. I never sue anyone, ever, just would not, but it would be tempting to have a lawyer send them a letter. I think they should take it back and go through the thing all over. .. or pay to have a shop who knows what they are doing go through it again.

maybe stuff'l 'settle in' and all will be fine. I sure hope so ! S.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Maglott" <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 10:42 AM Subject: Re: My AT Rebuild