Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:19:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Strap a raft to the roof?
Comments: To: "Mike \"Rocket J Squirrel\"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

hi , yes, sheet metal screws. Good ones, 'maybe' stainless., and with a sealant. In boats any cleat or anything attached to a deck or cabin is set there with something for a 'bedding compound' ...like a sealant to keep the moisture from getting under the cleat or bracket and through the screw holes. I use a tiny bit of high quality black silicone.

some pickup trucks have round flat inverted hook type tie-downs ... little large for vanagons, but they work. there are all kinds to choose from. Even small drawer handles of decent quality can work just fine.

the holding power of a course thread sheet metal screw installed correctly is quite strong btw.

Nice to read your sharing about your automotive background.

I was just working on things before I knew anything else. I worked on my tricycle before I went to kindergarten. it had one large red, square headed bolt holding the front fork and handle bars to the frame. I took that bolt out with some wrench I had , and flipped it over, and put the fork and handle bars in the other way .. so it came out long and low. I modified, not just worked on, but modified my tricycle before I went to school even .....and been doin' lots of that ever siince. Self-taught .....though I read and study a lot of course, like many of us do here , automotively speaking.

well you're fun to read ....touch of humor with modesty always. Kinda a 'nutty professor'type a bit. Keep up the good work and words !

Scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 6:37 AM Subject: Re: Strap a raft to the roof?