Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 2010 16:38:24 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] Made by hand
Comments: To: miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@gmail.com>

old school ......? I am in many ways ..old and new, but sitting there waiting on a video ... I like being more active .. creating what occurs in my space, rather than just letting 'the space' happen to me.

but I'll try to watch it. The British kept VW going right after WWII. At one point they had to weld sections of roof metal together since they couldn't get big enough sheets of metal to stamp out a whole roof.

there's been a documentary on late at night on Public TV about the Berlin wall... from start of it to the ending of it. There were some old VW Bugs in a few shots.

I am always amazed at old movies showing old cars in real time in their era. like ..hey that car is not a restored old car for the movie ..it really IS and old car that was only say 3 yrs old when they shot the film. I think restored cars in modern movies look absolutely fake. I by far more revere something old and preserved nicely. That takes some class, and some care-for-things-savvy. Anybody can throw cubic money at an old car ... and making them look better than they did new even ...no thanks. And reproduction parts are always 'weak' compared to real OE ones.

I had a 54 Bug for a while once ........small oval rear window, and working semaphore turn signals. I paid $ 450 for it, running decently, in the late 70's .. sold it a year later for 850 I think. Did an top end job on another 36 hp engine I had , for it. they had a strange quality during acceleration ....which was always gradual of course .. but the speedo needle would continue climbing between shifts oddly.

anyway ... I'll try to watch the video. what fun. and speaking of hand made or german made cars .. my 'Ursula' , a 1970 Mercedes Benz 250 gas sedan ....June production. I always figure cars made around that month are probably put together a little better... everyone being in a better mood in June generally. Ursula has towed many vanagons many, many miles, up to 900 miles at a shot, including on ice going through Bend OR in the winter, black ice, at night, then hours of driving in falling snow. Man that is one good car. Still got her. Still runs. Pistons are 40 years old, doesn't even smoke or burn oil. Those cars are so well made and over-built that it's a privilege to work on them almost.

now who wants to buy my 78 450SLC for cheap ? 'Runs.' Located Southern Oregon . I figure to turn it into a Low Rider, or a faux NASCAR racer with roll cage, or art car, or something fun. or ...here we go ...monster pick up with 6 foot tall suspension and 4WD.

----- Original Message ----- From: "miguel pacheco" <mundopacheco@gmail.com> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> Cc: <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 2:52 PM Subject: Re: [WetWesties] Made by hand