Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Jul 2010 17:39:24 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Hose Replacement
Comments: To: Kevin Gilbert <kggilbert@MYACTV.NET>

hi Kevin and all, I don't think those crimp type hose clamps can be re-used. I use really nice german screw clamps with curled up edges, so they don't bite into the hose. I do though ..save the little half-ring of metal that's under the crimp type hose clamps, to re-use to protect the outside of the hose, under my new screw clamps, in the screw mechanism area.

fwiw I have a Go Westy fuel hose kit a customer supplied, and it's full of those crimp type hose clamps, and they claim they will work better than screw hose clamps. I do wonder about that, and like that you can always check the tightness of a hose clamp. you can tighten crimp clamps some too.... but still, I like to build things so they are easy to work on .. like out on the road if need be.....screw clamps work for me. I wouldn't dream of using the common american small # 4 screw type hose clamp though.

whatever you do ......be sure to get FUEL INJECTION hose .. there is carb fuel hose that looks the same but is not fuel injection rated.

on .... leak testing tip ... turn the key on, let fuel pump run 5 seconds, when it shuts off, turn key on again to energize fuel pump for a few seconds. Do that like 6 times, then turn key off, then go snooping around your fuel hoses and lines.

the one spot that leaks first - if it still has the infamous 'firewall fitting' ...is ...they start to leak at the forward side of that , right above the starter, out of sight from the engine compartment. Always check that spot , and always get rid of that fire wall fitting.

and this next part I have a very strong opinion about ...various people will advise to remove the fire wall fitting, then put a grommet in that hole, to run the hose through.

that's completely silly to me. Why run the hose through a hole in a metal firewall where it could get rubbed on when there is absolutely zero reason to run it through that hole in the first place ? ( like does that hole just scream out ...run a fuel hose through me ! .....no .) I might semi-loosely wire tie the fuel hose to a nearby handy hose or whoever, so it can't flop around too much ..but that's all. It does not have to be hard mounted at all.

There is a white plastic clip that holds the fuel plastic line to the top of the area above the transmission. remove that clip, so the black plastic fuel line can hang down more easily .. then join the hose from the engine directly onto that black plastic pipe .... with a good screw clamp. then run it right through that fat spot between engine and firewall right side. Put it right there where you can see it . that's much better than running it through a grommeted hole for no reason, which also will hide that hose-to-line connection from easy sight from within the engine compartment.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Gilbert" <kggilbert@MYACTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 4:53 PM Subject: Fuel Hose Replacement