Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Jul 2010 18:38:31 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: That's it, I've had it. (Driving with brake on)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

right on Don. re I am reluctant to pull up 'full power'

I would be extremely surprised if you could hurt anything putting the parking brake on with very high force. sure....if a overly strong person JERKS it on 110 % every time they park the car..that will tear things up gradually .. but for holding power...the rear brakes are identical in all US model vanagons, 2WD and Syncro up to 1991 ...and VW or any company would be careful to not build a parking brake with which a person could hurt the brake parts with an occasionally 'full force' parking brake application.

and I have seen people just yank that sucker like they were on a 45 degree slope every single time they shut off the car, even parked level a garage. Some people are really brutal on equipment... and often don't even know that they are. Don't get me started ..and very heavy guy I know that I let use a van of mine for many months ..I get the van back, and there's 2 inches of play in the steering wheel. .. I watch him back out his own van, and when it was time to turn the steering wheel, he jerked , HARD, on the steering wheel, ....just to start a turn to back up. On my van ...that I let him use, that manifested itself as large slop where the right tie rod exits the end of the steering rack, bushing there - just ruined that rack in about 10 months .. just from being clumsy and brutal on stuff.

< btw, one of the very worst things you can do for a car is loan it to someone. Somehow they always manage to not know the nuances, the idiosyncrasy's etc....for example, I let a customer use a van of mine for few hours. She wanted to be 'good' and put gas in it. She gives the keys for the locking gas cap to the pump jockey, he jams the ignition key into the cap and bends the ignition key. ...grrr. >

but no, you can put that brake on carefully, as hard as it will go ...not gonna break any brake parts unless they are very old and tired anyway, or out of spec, like too thin rear drums. I like the feel of those later handles myself.. It's the only way . They work just great.

and it's a good example of how VW underbuilds and then improves up to 'decent' as they go along over the years producing one series of vehicle. Or sure did back then. That was so they could say '15 improvements for the new model year." The later handle is improved 3 separate ways over the early one. I don't think engineers and deigners are always so smart. The early parking brake handle is an example.

but they sure are fun ! scott turbovans

NVC ..just saw Obama say 'we have been running the credit card on future generations" - DUH ! > lol ! ----- Original Message ----- From: Don Hanson To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 4:36 PM Subject: Re: That's it, I've had it. (Driving with brake on)

Yah, I swapped out my old style brake handle for a newer type and it does work much better. But now, with the added leverage, I am reluctant to pull up 'full power' (what is actually needed to work those rear shoes) because I bet I could easily brake (pun) something before I would 'lock the rear brakes'... It does hold me now when I get out to open our gate, which is on a hill on our road...But I still have driven with it on a couple of times...smell hot brakes, turn the steering wheel and spy that hidden warning light down there... Now I do like I did in my old Beetles....I reach down a lot out of habit and flick the brake button on the lever with my thumb.... Don Hanson