Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:41:36 -0700
From:         Peter DiFalco <peter.difalco@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant bottle harbinger - opinions?

I thought I'd post an update on this - recap: my coolant light came on while charging uphill under load. Coolant down by half in the pressure reservoir. The next day found coolant pooled around the upper rear left head torque nut. Figured maybe I'd done a bad, bad thing. I'd also found some black silicone-like buildup under the pressure cap.

Well, my local Vanagon mechanic Mike Tevis (everyone should have one, and mine's on this email list) came out to take a look. He found that the air conditioning bracket was loose, and one of the supports for the pump had come down into the coolant hose that enters the head just above the rear torque nut. It chewed a pretty nice bit into the hose, and under load coolant had no problem coming out there, hence the alarm.

He also checked out the silicone-like stuff which was also found on the thermostat and in the rad bleeder. We think maybe some gasket sealant wasn't quite dry when the coolant was put in, and so that stuff came loose and went to the high places in the system. A coolant flush will hopefully take care of that.

So, good news, I'm back on the road, no leaking head gasket, no cracked head, and I probably worry too much but from my air-cooled days I've come to feel like the little failures are always trying to turn into huge failures - well, as this one could if not stopped in time.

Thanks for the input everybody. I guess I need a better headlight when I'm looking up my engine's kilt.

Cheers, Peter