Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jul 2010 00:35:56 -0400
From:         A J <flavanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C info on 85 front mount Update
Comments: To: Ken Lewis <kdlewis@northstate.net>

On Jul 3, 2010, at 10:11 AM, Ken Lewis wrote:

> AJ, > AS I understand it, that AC unit was a US dealer option. That is to > say, it was installed at the dealer, not the factory. That might be > why there is limited VW info on it. > Ken Lewis > http://neksiwel.20m.com/ > in statu viae >

Ken, Thanks for that tidbit. Where did you run across this information? I believe you may be right because I also loaded Mitchell On Demand and used the two VW disks so I had all the VW info. The only info I could find about the a/c on the 85 was how to clean the coils to remove mildew and odor. Nothing about location of electrical components at all. It did have some info about the compressor but nothing about the parts inside the van. I did spend some time looking over the fuse box today and there seems to be an extension added to the original fuse panel. It kind of tucks in behind the steering column cover The extension panel did not have the ceramic german fuses but had several US spade fuses. Different colors and I am sure one is a 30 amp fuse. It does look exactly like an afterthought addition to the fuse panel. I may be wrong but I believe this is the power for the a/c with the exemption of the wire from the battery. The more I look at it the more it looks like it was installed as an add on and not a well thought out factory install. One would think that even if that was the case and the units were either dealer installed or installed by a contractor for VW somewhere there would have to be a repair manual for them. I mean VW would expect problems and have to have a manual for their dealers for repairs.. Maybe it would have been a suppliment to the factory manuals but I am convinced that there has to be something. somewhere. The hunt goes on!!!

Thanks all for the thoughts,facts and ideas. It confirmed that I am not nuts and also has led me down the path to hunt for real shop manuals from the dealers here that actually worked on the Vanagons. Find the original manual and all the suppliments.

In the meantime BenT if you are really scrapping out a couple with the front air I would love to get my hands on some of the parts. Might even offer a trade of a great mac MDD loaded out desktop dual processor stacked with ram then you can "mac along" with the rest of us never virused gerry list users

Night all and I do sincerely want to thank all of you for the help. It is/was appreciated and has helped

Happy Fourth,

A J