Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jul 2010 20:32:46 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      discovery - its giubo, not guibo

I've been calling that rubber flex disc found on the prop shaft of syncros (and on other cars) a guibo. Well its not called that, its called a giubo.

doh!

here is a posting from a alfa list

alistair

Giubo spelling and pronunciation

To: <alfa@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Giubo spelling and pronunciation From: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:19:49 -0400 Cc: <anthony.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Reply-to: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sender: owner-alfa@xxxxxxxxxx

Anthony White writes "I have a suspicion that the vernacular spelling accompanies a vernacular pronunciation: guibo, pronounced 'gwee-bo', as opposed to giubo, pronounced something like 'joo-bo', following the pronunciation of Giulietta. I'd be interested to know how others pronounce this."

In Italy, and presumably in Heaven (if indeed they are not the same place) I believe "something like 'joo-bo'" is the first,if not only, choice. Searching my personal digest archives I found this, from AD7-061, 26 Aug 1998:

"Il Topo recently sent me a photocopy of a hand-written letter, 24 maggio 1986, by GianPaolo Garcea, a singularly literate engineer who was one of Orazio Satta's right-hand men as Assistant Director of the Design and Experimental Department. The letter, with lavish freehand illustrations, confirms and elaborates on what Topo had previously told me and others, that "the ing. Boschi had invented and patented the elastic joint (giunto) and later formed his firm GIUBO SpA, which manufactured the first giubos for the 1900. 'GIUBO' = GIUnti Boschi = Boschi joints, and the pronunciation is (gee-yew-bow or jew-bow)." That is the straight squeak from what is, as far as I know, the last surviving purebred Portello mouse."

The person I irreverently called Il Topo in those days (from previous references to "the oldest rat in the barn") is Don Black, who had met Dr. Boschi when he was working at Portello in the sixties. Black's friend and mentor GianPaolo Garcea, who was a design engineer at Portello from 1935 to 1982, thus spanning from the late Jano era to the late Hruska era, is the author of a memoir "La Mia Alfa". It is a singularly charming work, presented with the printed text and photos on the right-hand page and the beautifully handwritten manuscript and illustrative sketches on the left-land page. I suppose it is an anachronism, writing and engineering without typewriters and drafting machines, let alone computers, but there once were engineers who didn't need spellcheckers, and this book is a window into that world, for those who may be interested.

Later in my digest archives I found this, from AD7-715, 14 May 1999, from the late Fredissimo:

Subject: GOO-EEBOS?

"What the hell are GUIBOS? I wonder if you mean GIUBOS = GEE-OOBOS. Sorry

but it irritates me when the wrong names are used for Alfa parts. At a parts

store in Italy they would not understand. Fred DI Matteo"

I also found earlier references to Boschi in letters from both Black and Fred, but didn't look them up (time presses) but guess that Fred's initial chewing me out as a proxy for Don was in off-digest correspondence; but from the on-digest evidence it was gee-yew-bow or jew-bow at Portello, and something like GEE-OOBO at the parts counter.

Ralph DeLauretis asks "Does anyone know why Alfa when they designed the Alfa 6 sedan they re - designed the Alfetta sedan platform to accept a front mounted tranny? Did they realize their mistake? Cut costs? Anyone know?"

My impression (haven't looked for the source) is that something Don Black wrote said either that the design of the Sei either preceded or was concurrent with that of the Alfetta. It was not unusual for a project to be shelved, either temporarily or permanently, to concentrate limited resources on a prospectively more lucrative mass-market product. The Sportiva and Giulietta are such a pair. I am fairly certain, on nothing more than intuition, that the Alfetta engine bay was initially dimensioned to accept the V6, which was not a fresh design when it reached production. But that is guessing.