Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:03:02 +0200
From:         Jaap Nauta <jaap.bus@IAE.NL>
Subject:      Re: Switch to LED lighting??
Comments: cc: gneiss9@GMAIL.COM

Most aftermarket CC's use the following mechanism to check safe operation:

The CC will sense the voltage at both sides of the brakeswitch. With the brakes not applied, one side should read 12-14 volts, the other 0 volts (using a small current). This way the CC knows it is correctly hooked up to the brake switch. If this precondition is not met, CC will not work.

In normal operation CC will switch off when both wires read (around) 12-14 volts.

Now to the LED problem: powerLED's are not very good in pulling the voltage across them to zero at small currents (high internal resistance). For example a Luxeon LED has internal resistance of multiple kilo-ohms at small currents and around 5 ohms at normal operation.

Solution? add indeed a resistor parallel to the LED. Would start with a few hundred ohms, 1 watt resistor, that should do the job.

Became a bit technical, hope still understandable :-)

Jaap '87 Caravelle 1.6D