Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:16:47 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Silicone tape = rescue tape, was Pesky Oil Leak

Well, I'm up to 3 layers on my garden hose now and still have some leakage. I re-read the package about the bonding time and it said to not try to reposition after 2 minutes and it reaches full strength in 24 hours at room temp. On the 3rd layer I only waited a couple hours before testing it. Each application I did1/2 overlapping as I wound around, and I reversed direction with each layer. The water is definitely squeezing out between the layers like David says below.

At 04:10 PM 7/4/2010, David Beierl wrote: >At 03:51 PM 7/4/2010 Sunday, Edward Maglott wrote: >>on my garden hose twice now and it has leaked both times when I put >>the hose under pressure. Probably 60psi coming from my house. I'm >>going to do a second layer over the first one and see how that >>does. > >I'd suggest minimum two, preferably three layers, stretched as close >to 3:1 as you can. 60 psi is definitely high pressure in this >application. The issue isn't the opening itself -- it's the water >wedging its way along beneath the tape, which itself isn't sticky. > >> It says you may need to do that for high pressure situations >>in the directions. It also says something about letting it sit for 2 >>hours to 24 hours (iirc) to "cure." What have people found they need > >If the sucker doesn't start unwinding in your hand, it should be >cured sufficiently for use, always assuming that you use enough of >it. Off hand I can't think of a pressure application where I'd >think one layer was enough, even at fifty per cent overlap. And >winding tension is a big part of success both in bonding and in >resisting pressure from within. Each additional layer incrementally >adds pressure -- try winding several layers around your finger to get the idea. > >Yours, >David >