Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:39:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Parking brake pressure (was I've had it) - NVC !
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>

we are gonna be in so much trouble ! Sorry, too fascinating to some. You guys better stop this.

I did not know that about the double helical gear and the Inverted chevrons Citroen symbol. Learn somethin' every day.

Starting with the D series.....the suspension is hydrualic/penumatic. Nitrogen on top of a diaphram in a shere ( citroen people call them 'Sheres' too, since they need to replace them now and then, since they degrade .....nitrogen leaks out. They're about the size of a very large grapefruit ) ...provides the springing medium, the compressibility of the nitrogen. . Flow of brake fluid (early D series citroens have about two gallons of brake fluid in them ) below the diapram, in and out of the shere is controlled by restrive orphices, giving the shock and dampening affect. Each shere has a piston in a tube under it, and the piston movs up and down with the suspension. ( those older gasgster style earlier Citroen cars used torsion bars for springs, also pretty advanced and exotic engineering )

Since it was only one more step to have variable height ....just add a pump and 'read' suspension height at the anti-sway bars front and rear .....they are automaticaly self leveling ...overall, and front-to-rear. There are 4 suspension heights to chose from ...with handle in the cockpit : zero hyduallic pressure ( ground clearance is about 4 inches then, and feels rock solid stiff ) , normal, somewhat higher than normal for rough roads, and maxed out ....jammed full high against the top suspenion travel stops.

two last points and I'll stop - to change a tire, you put suspension on max height. Get a little stand out of the trunk, attach it to a spot on the middle side of the car, the side with the flat tire. Lower suspension to zero height .. one side lowers, the other side lifts high, with both tires on that side well clear of the ground. No jack comes with the car, just this little stand. The fenders come off with one screw btw.. and unplug about 4 wires with your fingers, all 4 fenders, just come right off.

don't forget the D series Citroen had crash safety in mind with a one spoke steering wheel..and the spoke was very curved, so you'd slide over it, rather than get impalled on the steering coluum in a crash.

Very advanced for their time for sure. < Also, inboard front disc brakes - the first mass production front disc brakes >

It was either Citroen or some other company ...someone once said they "Found answers to problems that nobody asked about solutions for."

youse guys better stop !

and I'm gathering the parts to put this penumatic-hydrualic variable height suspension on my VANAGON ........ ..then I'm gonna make it amphibious too !

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Stevens" <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 9:33 AM Subject: Re: Parking brake pressure (was I've had it)