Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 2010 20:57:04 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Buying advice - plz read immediately buyer
Comments: To: Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM>

Well, I know the buyer is excited, but sending someone money up front like that is not the way to a prosperous future. This is classic scam, and the fact that they buyer has been given a name, address, and so on means nothing. A scammer could send any number of names, each to a different prospect. Sorry, but this is NOT the way to do business. What is the evidence that the scammer, er seller, actually even OWNS said vehicle?

The way to buy a vehicle is to inspect it, have it inspected if you are not competent or available to do the inspection yourself, exchange money for goods, goods meaning both vehicle and title. The proper way is NOT to send someone money because you want the proffered goods and you trust the purveyer because he sounds like a nice guy who really wants to help you.

I'm giving you such a good deal because I have a deadline to meet, and you have to help me meet that deadline is classic.

You KNOW he wants to help himself. You want to believe he wants to help you.

Hope it works out. I have really bad feelings about it.

DMc

---- Mike South <msouth@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Suggest a trusted third party (that you trust, not someone he > suggests), who would verify receipt of the funds and only release them > under agreed terms or something. Maybe see if someone with a good > reputation on thesamba or whatever would agree to hold the cash for a > hundred bucks or something. If he balks at reasonable safeguards, > run-do-not-walk away. > > Don't let how excited you are about the purchase affect your > judgement. Easy to say that and hard to do, but just wiring someone > money...no way. It's not like it's going to be news to him that he's > been banned and bashed--tell him you don't understand how bashing him > there is a deterrent when people are already doing it and he's still > doing business there. > > Any time you feel like "well, if I say that, it would offend the > seller and he might cancel the deal", assume you're being > scammed--scammers exploit politeness, generosity, trust, etc. He's > the one with stuff to answer for, so I would keep pestering him for > details about how the transaction can be safe for all concerned. > > mike > > On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > No way man. > > How many red flags do you need to see ? > > > > Don't hand over anything, other than a deposit to hold it, say $ 1,000,  and > > make the agreement that is to - hold it for up to two weeks for you. > > - does not mean you agree to the asking price. > > - if you see the van, don't like it and bail, you get your full deposit > > back. > > > > I call this a Purchase Agreement, I do them all the time. > > > > Do not hand over any more money until you've checked it out and agreed on a > > price. > > To avoid carrying large amount so cash, > > bring a certified bank check order made out to him for about 80 % of the > > price.. > > and carry less cash to fill in the remainder. > > > > I did this selling a guy's Porsche 914-6. > > Things are always a little ...'unusual' on a fly-in-and-buy deal. > > In this case, the seller/owner was out of town ..the deal was made  $ 26,500 > > firm ...take it or leave it, no price bargaining.   The guy was supposed to > > show up with a certified bank check  for $ 26,500 > >          Instead he came with a bank check  order for 25K and the rest in > > cash. > > Work out fine too, after checking out the car for about 3 hours ...finally > > the buyer said 'ok, I'll pay the full 26.5K and you send me all the left > > over parts from the project ."  Perfect.  Everybody was happy. > > > > but do that ... a reasonable deposit to hold it, and the parameters I > > suggested above .. > > and bring most of it in bank check form and some cash. > > > > I doubt paypal is much protection really. 'maybe' .....'but' . > > > > Probably in Portland is my guess. > > > > and re > > He's been banned close to 10 times (under > >> > >> different names), there are pending fraudulent claims and arguments > >> occurring > >> between he and buyers. > > > > Like I said, ..how many red flags ? > > because ..anyone who would change names , hide their identity, and get > > banned is likely to do the same sort of shenanigans on the vehicle...like it > > may not be that good actually , > > or things have been done shoddily etc. > > > > unless the price is like 2/3 of what it should be, or it's a rare, rare > > totally unrusted syncro you think you might never see again in your life > > ........I'd stay away. > > > > I mean ...karma you know, helping each other out in vanagonland... > > All that - 'co-empowerment' .....that kinda stuff... > > the seller has something good .... > > he provides the buyer with a decent-for-the-price vehicle....there is a > > strong feeling of trust .etc... > > if it ain't like that Brother ...why bother !! > > > > I take it too personally of course ...but I might find myself not feeling > > good about the whole thing. > > > > I'd pass ...if for no other reason than to not participate with people that > > operate like this seller apparently does.  And odds are, if the seller is > > 'iffy' ..parts of the van will be too. > >  And what I see on these 25 year old babies lately .....usually they've > > been 'repaired or even 'upgraded' but they have not actually truly been > > *taken care of. *    And it all adds up. > > > > be careful ! > > Scott > > www.turbovans.com > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "craig cowan" <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:40 AM > > Subject: Buying advice > > > > > >> I'm working on closing a deal today on a sunroof syncro that's in Oregon > >> (I > >> am in PA). Anyway.... > >> The buyer has asked that I just transfer money via a wire transfer in full > >> to his bank account which i normally wouldn't be overly hesitant about but > >> realize this would not afford me any type of fraud prevention should > >> anything happen. I asked him a few days ago what assurance he can give me > >> that this is going to be a fullproof transaction and his response was that > >> should it go sour for any reason, just bash him on thesamba.com. Since he > >> runs a VW restoration business almost entirely through thesamba, it seemed > >> like a just response. Well..... I went and checked him out on the samba, > >> and > >> he's already been bashed enough. He's been banned close to 10 times (under > >> different names), there are pending fraudulant claims and arguments > >> occuring > >> between he and buyers. Luckily, there are also great reviews of his > >> service > >> being above and beyond the call of duty. So this has me at least slightly > >> concerned, any suggestions? > >> Paypal may be an option, does that award a great deal more security? > >> > >> Furthermore, I don't recieve a bill of sale via the mail for at least a > >> week > >> after I give the guy all my money..... indicating that I don't actually > >> own > >> the car, but have given aside all my money. I asked that he send me an > >> email > >> with his full name, address, the VIN of the car, and which contains > >> agreement terms....should I need to press charges later. Does this sound > >> like a reasonable thing to want? Am I fair in wanting something like this > >> BEFORE I pay? He seems to indicate (and I can see this point as well) that > >> no actual change of ownership agreements ever occur untill after purchase. > >> Sadly he's been pretty tricky with emails, so I have my concerns (Though > >> he's easiliy reached via the phone and a wonderful person to talk too. He > >> seems to be really interested in helping me out). > >> > >> Thoughts? > >> I'm very excited about this purchase, but very concerned now. > >> > >> -Craig > >> '85GL turned WESTY > >> BOSTIG in the back > >

-- David McNeely