Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jul 2010 10:20:14 -0700
From:         brady <dofunk@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Flywheel Dowel Pins - Continued
Comments: To: kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM

Instead of fabricating something....why not just get the correct roll pin and put them in? Brady

----- Original Message ---- From: Kurt Grotz <kgrotz@CRAFTECH.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wed, July 7, 2010 12:01:13 PM Subject: Flywheel Dowel Pins - Continued

I just wanted to add a concluding thought about the pins. The question was whether they were necessary or not. Afterall - the clutch will bolt on in 6 places - right? That should be straight enough - Right? No?

Not! I had no pins in my flywheel and it is obvious what happened. Something went awry and did fry my pilot bearing and scortched the flywheel. Missing dowels are as good a reason as any.

Let me explain. As I was putting the mastwerpiece back together I came up with the question. Lock-tight or not to locktight the flywheel bolts. I didn't have any - and I was almost finished. I torqued to the spec 80 lbs withour and left it at that. Then the clutch. I lined it up, and put a couple of bolts its. This time everything said Lock Tight them. I wondered if I could get away with it. I read the torque spec. Tom's page recommended 20 pounds and Bently 18. WOW I thought. What would keep that thing from moving around like an out of control merry-go-round? I mean the flywheel gets 80 lbs and the clutch only 20 lbs at best?

It cried - "SOMETHING IS MISSING." So I go back to Bentley and there they are. Three pins on the flywheel. YES they serve as a guide to line up the clutch. But my guess is that they hold the clutch in place centrifically as well. So they would seem an absolute must to me. Make sense?

So- It appears that it is my task to fabricate something - at the suggestion of the machine shop. I will share what I come up with - when I come up with it.

Thanks for continued feedback.

Kurt Grotz